OT: From one vet to another

Happy Veteran's Day.

Vietnam - 67 - 68

MJ

Reply to
mjmwallace

Yes Happy Veteran's Day to all who served! It is greatly appreciated!

Reply to
evodawg

Back atacha!

RVN - 69 - 70

Reply to
Swingman

And to all who serve now.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

:

a vet, but just a nice view of how other people cover this day.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

"Canadians gather along the 172-kilometre stretch of Highway 401 between Trenton and Toronto every time a convoy carrying the body of a dead soldier travels that final homecoming route."

Now that's reverence!

We in the US get blackouts. :-\

Well wishes to those who serve.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Is that why Obama went to Dover in the middle of the night?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

wrote

Thank you and back atcha

Korea, '50 - '51

Max

Reply to
Max

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 10:15:09 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

Classified 4H, Home 72-75. Missed it by || much. Many thanks to all of you who have served and now serve. We love ya.

If life were fair, you'd be allowed to cap a liberal every Veteran's Day.

---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary ====================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 18:27:21 -0500, the infamous Greg G. scrawled the following:

Hell, Greg. Don't drink so much and you won't black out.

--LJ, blackout-free for 24 years 4 months now.

---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary ====================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm a liberal (fiscally conservative) who thanks Allied WWII soldiers every day for their efforts. I have the greatest admiration for those who serve and those who served. However, I heartily disapprove of gung-ho generals and politicians, especially the ones who deceive the public.

Reply to
Han

As a former Army officer with that coveted "combat command" so necessary for advancement, I can tell you with _absolute_ certainty that anyone who attains the rank of General IS a politician.

Reply to
Swingman

My thanks also to all those who served, from all nations.

My number came up when i was 18 in the very last draft, - they wouldn't take me, - because of the same ailment that has now temporarily sidelined me. I then tried as a volunteer with an offer to acknowledge and absolve the military from responsibility for my existing condition. No dice. Bastards.

WW2. My mother and father both instilled in us just how much this country owes the US for the final outcome of that war. We were constantly reminded over the years to make sure we understood and appreciated what it meant. I have continued that tradition. But for the US, we would almost certainly be speaking Japanese.

"Lest we forget."

diggerop

Reply to
diggerop

Swingman wrote in news:3-ydnQdFhKOxtGHXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I believe you. In defense of said individual, it may be necessary for a leader to convince "his" people that his way is best, and that they better do it /NOW!/.

Reply to
Han

"diggerop" wrote in news:e8WdnTcldtofsWHXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com.au:

Amen to that.

I grew up in Wageningen, Netherlands, where the Germans finally surrendered on May 5, 1945. In 1950 there was a parade through town of Allies, and a taptoe (spelling?) at night, where the Marine silenbt drill team impressed me (5 years old) tremendously.

Reply to
Han

That would certainly live with you forever.

This link gives the current usage and says it originated from the Old Dutch doe den tap toe .

diggerop

Haven't been in the military, eh?

A military "leaders" orders are obeyed, no "convincing" necessary.

Article 90 UCMJ.

Nonetheless, a certain degree of trust in the "leader" makes it work a damn sight more effectively. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:U66dnbqKmaZl32HXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

No. Didn't seem my favorite occupation. In fact, the choice in 1969 between compulsory military service in Holland and the chance for PhD training in Boston was easy to make, and spouse agreed. Still does. And we're still liberal, only a tad less than then. Moreover, we're now US citizens.

That's them rules, I believe.

Ahhh! Now the lights went on! I agree!

Reply to
Han

"diggerop" wrote in news:NICdnVYjBuFBoGHXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com.au:

Thanks for the explanation. Never knew that.

Reply to
Han

I was drafted in my senior year of college (I'd spent too much time globe trotting and 'aged out' of my 2S deferment), or, considering the absolute certainty of my eventual destination, I would most likely have passed myself.

The politics of advancement in the US military above the rank of full Colonel is brutal to the point that cunning and political skill are much more important than leadership ... a deplorable subversion of the entirety of the concepts of "spirit and honor" that go before.

Reply to
Swingman