from Janitrol to Honeywell wiring thermostat?

Hi,

I just bought a new digital Honeywell thermostat - TH8320. I am replacing an old mercury one - the writing in the back is Janitrol HPT18-60, 3AAT86B21A1 HOUSTON, TEXAS. LR 11746, 30 V.A.C.1.5.A, CLASS

2, 9629.

I'm not sure how to wire the new one, looking only at how the old one was wired. Seems like W2 is for heat relay 2, but on the old one there is no W1 for heat relay 1... I don't know what kind my system is (2h/2c, 2h/1c etc) i was hoping to figure this out from the wiring...

The wiring on the old one: W2 - white E - blue C - black Y - yellow G - gren R - red O - orange

There is also a brown wire comming out of the wall that was not used.

Any sugestions on how I need to wire my new one?

Reply to
todd.bizhev

Fig. 20.

Reply to
Dan Luke

Chase the wires down and draw a wiring diagram.

Reply to
Noon-Air

First before you do any damage to your system, call out a HVAC tech. You will pay about an hour labor to install and in the long run it will save you money.

I have a question, where did you buy the stat? And what did you pay?

Here in the Houston area you can go the Home Depot and buy a stat but I have been told that if you bring back the stat, it has to be inspected by Honeywell before you can get credit for it.

Reply to
Moe Jones

I had posted the same question and got a responce on another web site. Here is his answer:

Follow the diagram in figure 15 - single stage heat pump with auxilliary heat - Using the heat pump terminal designations -

Old New W2 - white - Aux E - blue - E C - black - C Y - yellow - Y G - gren - G R - red - R & Rc O - orange - O

Make sure you set the thermostat for heat pump in the installer setup.

Reply to
todd.bizhev

To answer your question Moe, I bought the thermostat new from Ebay.

Reply to
todd.bizhev

When you buy through Ebay is there a warranty from Honeywell? If something is wrong with the stat do you mail it back to Honeywell or what do you do?

Reply to
Moe Jones

As long as he doesn't let the smoke out of the stat or the system, he might be okay. He might do it right and save himself some money. He might do it wrong and have to call a tech to come fix the system and install a new tstat, in which case he will have lost his initial investment in the ebay stat as well as the bunch of money to fix whatever smokes... that is what we call an educational expense. Some people get more out of their education than others...

Reply to
Murdentech