OT: Fd up country

This country is so F'd up right now. I just spoke to a friend and former co-worker, he was laid off last month, he told me that about a dozen others who I knew were laid off too.

They had to train their foreign replacements, who are now working here while they got their packages, and then will eventually collect un-employment.

I was looking to see if they knew of any jobs, now they are looking too. Does this make sense to constantly be replacing American workers with people from other countries?

I am struggling to find work, and it just seems like I am running out of options.

My wife has told me that many of her co-workers husbands are out of work.

BTW our goverment wants to eliminate the quotas on H1B's. Some big companies are lobbying for this, and the idiot politicians are leaning toward it.

I love this country, but our politicians are destroying it, and so are many of the big businesses.

Reply to
woodchucker

Yeah, well I always thought that the Commie scare was just to deflect people from seeing what Big Business was up to.

You, and all your friends, have my deepest sympathies.

Reply to
Limey Lurker

Yep ... between the liberals, RINO's and the elites, we don't have a chance.

Swingman

As always, we're certainly doing our best to follow in your footsteps. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

You don't mention either you geographic area or in which occupation these layoffs have occurred - can you be more specific?

So long as wall street influences business decisions, yes.

Should wall street influence business decisions? Probably not.

It's all about growing the stock price now (where it used to be about growing the company and the dividend).

Consider wall-street driven M&A, and look at aerospace for the results (three major airframers instead of 30, with a corresponding reduction in aerospace employment).

Actually, the "government" doesn't necessarily want this. The politicians in the pockets of large businesses do.

Driven by wall street.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

The "executive summary" of the above for those who don't give a shit:

Unfortunately, for un- or under-employed Americans, the outright lie that there?s a shortage of high-tech workers apparently takes precedence over their well-being. For Democrats, virtually anything the expands the dependency of Americans has become, rather than a badge of shame, an integral part of their party platform. For Republicans, the sop of accommodating their business allies, and siren song of possibly new found Hispanic fealty that drives their ambitions. In a better world, the efforts by both parties would be seen as the contempt for the rule of law and the utter lack of concern for Americans they truly represent. In this one, the narrative, no matter how duplicitous and despicable, rules the roost.

Reply to
Swingman

So don't you think it is funny that the top firms benefittig from the visas are Indian companies?

Do you realize that the fed has no idea how many H1B's are currently in the country. They only know the year to year visas. They don't really have numbers how many are currently here.

I was replaced at one job by 2 on shores and 2 offshores.

The other day the call ended after they asked if I were a citizen and said yes.

Read some of the jobs on DICE or Monster, some are worded so much for a foreign worker everything is about moving the visa to them.. and blah blah blah..

As a former coworker said (Indian) you Americans are stupid. You give jobs to us Indians, but not to your own people. In my country we give jobs to our own.

Funny how a foreigner recognizes how stupid we are.

Reply to
woodchucker

I live in Hunterdon County , NJ, my co workers were in Central NJ. All IT, various different roles, programmers, dba's , S/A's.

I don't fully agree that it is all wall st. It is to a large extent, but it is also lower level managers trying to squeeze more out or look good to the people above. A few years ago a friend a project manager was forced to contract offshore. He was paying more per person than over here, and after a year of training (at his cost) they would move on to other companies and he would repeat the process. He hated the idea that he was being force to bring the business there for a lot more than here. I believe it's the result of kickbacks too. so it's not all wall st.

Reply to
woodchucker

BTW none of these even go over the sham of the L1. My coworker was telling me that all of the people over there (referring to a large group) where here on L1 visas and were not supposed to be on site. He said they were supposed to be working at their company offices, but the H1B visas were full so they come over on L1 visas and instead of working at their own company offices they are doing staff supplementation..

What this means is that the numbers are far worse than being reported. He told me this is very common. It just gets around our laws.. illegal yes.. but no one would say anything or else they would be fired.

The cards are stacked against us. In our own country. Are we really better off than we were years ago? I don't think so. I had a job, and if I didn't like it I could find a job else where. Now, 90% of the recruiters are foreign, and that's the first part of the problem. I get calls from India for jobs here in the US. Most of them are too far a commute, or below market value... I still have a few years left on the mortgage.

Reply to
woodchucker

My daughter and her husband worked for a national company with expectancy of retirement in 20 yr. At 18 years they were both fired without any explanation other than their "positions had been deleted". So, no retirement.

Reply to
G. Ross

RE: Subject

If you are over 40, your days as a new hire with or without benefits are history.

Been that way for at least the last 35 years.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Sadly, you get one (bad) indian or whatever in a position of authority, and you end up with them bringing in all kinds of their own

- and if the bribe s involved are 1% of what goes on in India, the guy at the top gets rich while the business fails.

They are not all bad - but with theamount of corruption ingrained in the Indian system, your chances of some of it trickling through to America are pretty high

Reply to
clare

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

---------------------------------------------------- Simple.

Gray beards need not apply for full time positions.

"Lack of work" is the cleanest (lowest cost & legal) way to make the existing gray beard go away.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Take a look Clare, we are catching up pretty quickly here. Our politicians are just as bad. And yes years ago I made it through multiple interviews.

The last one was done via the phone with the director. The man asked if I would be loyal to him or the company. My answer was the company of course.. Very wrong... the interview ended right then.

How could I tell him I would be loyal to him, he would then think anything goes.

I did have a boss ask me to commit a felony. My Indian boss knew it was illegal to ask me to turn off auditing. Being a SOX compliant system, I could not. It was against company policy and it was a felony.. clearly defined in the online training. But he called me.. knew enough to not send an email. He insisted, the business wanted it. I refused. He said he would get another Indian to do it.. those were his words. I was the only non-Indian.

When my contract was up, they took me out to lunch and the topic came up. I was asked why I wouldn't do it. I said because it was against the law. They said I would be gone b4 anyone knew. I said, NO YOU'll be gone before anyone knows, I live here.

I think companies like hiring foreigners because they will do anything. Right or wrong.

I could tell you stories about them sharing each others passwords. They say well I don't have the privs to do this and he does, so we share the pw. Or very important passwords being so simple or shared so that everyone can use it. Security... it's just an illusion.

That same company had people that were removed because they were managers who were also owned the businesses that they were hiring from. They got so greedy, that they insisted someone leave a company and work under theirs. That's when they were caught and fired.

But I still see this nonsense all the time.. They just do it more than we do, but I believe American's do the same.

What sucks is not getting a job because of who you are not. They do prefer to hire their own. There's no doubt. Anyone saying other has their head in the sand.

I had an eye opening experience at one company I worked at. At lunch I realized how out of balance the situation is. When you go into a lunch room and you have hundreds of Indians, Pakistani, and Asians, and No white or blacks, you realize how whacked it is. This is at one of the largest companies in the US. it might be the largest.

Reply to
woodchucker

I read all of the posts to this thread. Yes, it appears that they who have the money get to make the rules. I don't care for the way the game is player either. I wish you success in your job search, Jeff.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

We're hiring new people every week and can't find enough of the right people. The needs are reasonably specific, though. Interestingly, it's an Asian company, moving work (all well paying jobs) here from Asia. There are a lot of contractors (H1B and others) but many of these jobs are permanent.

Perhaps the days of the over-paid under-educated are over. Unions are dead, thank &deity.

Reply to
krw

I've never had a problem and my beard is about as gray as they come.

I've certainly been discriminate against but it's also gone in my direction. I was out of work in 2011 but only for three months. I got a *much* better job and almost 25% more $$. I did have to work as a contractor for nine months while they got their paperwork together. It sorta messed up the family for a little while because I was commuting home on weekends until I went permanent. Flexibility and skills are key.

Reply to
krw

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 12:50:59 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

I agree with you. A close friend of mine working for IBM, got laid off four years ago. He was 48 then. For those four years he worked a number of base paying jobs just to make ends meet. It was only very recently that he found a half decent full time position.

His saving grace was that his wife went to work and that they paid off the home mortgage as soon as they could. Smartest thing they could do.

When I first started working some forty years ago, I could find a new job almost every week. Now, it's four years, *if* you're lucky?

Reply to
none

What are you questioning? What Lew said is true. If you're an older, middle class worker, your chances of getting hired are exponentially less the older you get. I experienced it myself. It was only until I went into business for myself and could control a number of my employment activities that things changed for the better.

Reply to
none

Not here in NJ, unions prevail, as a matter of fact any job here must be billed at the previaling union wage, not a lower cost. So the unions got the state into this, so they are competitive. NJ makes boss hog look like a nice guy.

Reply to
woodchucker