OT: Electrical Help

I've previously installed 4 new T-8 light fixtures in the garage and 1 in t he telescope room. No problems with any of them.

This morning I installed a second fixture in the telescope room. This part icular fixture was purchased about 2 years ago, so it's new in the box. I wouldn't think the purchase age is causing this issue.

The wiring, for this second fixture, was installed when I wired/installed t he first fixture, hence, all I had to do was connect this second fixture. I assumed I installed it as the others, but the result is pink lighting, wi th this second fixture, only. The first fixture lighting is as it should b e, bright lighting.

When I first turn on the lights, this second fixture's light is bright whit e, but within seconds, turns pinkish and seems to get more pink. There is something obviously wrong and I have no clue. I do wonder if I have a ho t wire crossed with a neutral, coming from the first fixture, though the bl ack, white and ground is seemingly mated properly.

I suppose I need to call an electrician, but I'm wondering if there is some thing I can do, now, to resolve this problem. In the meantime, I'll not t urn on the lights.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

try switching bulbs between fixtures to rule out bad tubes - also check to make sure the new fixture is properly GROUNDED.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I would check my wiring trice (3), my guess is you have swapped tubes from good to iffy fixture. If it is wired right, probably the ballast is iffy.

Reply to
Markem

[...]

I note in the photo that the tubes have varying intensity, ends to middle. When I first installed some T-8s the same thing happened to me...tubes weren't entirely lit and light was dim. After being on for a while, the intensity increased (gradually) to full. No idea about the pink, tube color maybe at low intensity?

Reply to
dadiOH

You did not accidentally pick you some energy efficient tubes?

Several years ago we decided to go green, and put energy efficient lights in our kitchen. I had to remove them. At night I would wake up and need water. Go into the kitchen and turn the lights on. By the time I woke up enough to get the water, and was ready to go back to bed, the lights were finally bright enough that you could see in the kitchen.

Never again.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

No need to turn on the lights here. There is an under-counter light on in the kitchen 24/365. It has been replaced a couple of times but has not been off in nearly 52 years in two different houses. Plenty of light to grab something out of the kitchen. Latest light is an LED.

Hallway has an LED nightlight that becomes a flashlight/emergency light if the power goes out.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We really don't need nightlights anymore. Every frappin' piece of electronics has a pilot light glowing all night long. Most are as bright as a nightlight, certainly bright enough to see the way when one's dark-adapted.

The two things I'd put in a kitchen, if I ever did a demo would be to add under-counter LEDs and an ice maker. I use a lot of ice and the makers in 'fridges suck.

Reply to
krw

Did you double check the internal wiring of the fixture? Is it wired for 277V? 240? or 120?

Reply to
OFWW

Been too busy to get back out there and re-evaluate things. Will check things out tomorrow or later.

Thanks for all the input. Some of the things, mentioned, make sense, as to a possible/probable cause.

Happy Holidays, everyone. Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

The pink glowing lighting is because the bulbs are grow lamps, for growing plants indoors. There's nothing on the box indicating grow light fixture or bulbs.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Well, not money wasted. Get a couple of marijuana plants and the lights will pay for themselves.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I might try that next year - grow a little pipe-weed - when the Mary-Jane is legalized here. ... screw The Man out of his tax-grab. John T.

Reply to
hubops