OT Electrical

I know, 2 offtopic threads started within a week is probably against all sorts of rules.

But, I have an electrical question and given some of the responses to electrical questions I've seen before I know that someone here will be able to answer it.

So, here goes. I have a small, 1:32 scale slot car track upon which I run 4 cars, the cars each pull between 1 and 1.5 amps at about 8-10 volts dc. I get the dc from a regulated, variable power supply which is normally plugged into a standard wall circuit.

I want to set up a battery operated power system to enable me to use the track at events where power is either not available or not practical and I'd like to avoid the use of a generator if possible.

Specifically, I want to use a 12 volt, deep cycle battery, hook that up to a power inverter and then hook up the power supply to the inverter to run the track.

If the battery can run at 25 amps for say 140 minutes and still have a reserve capacity of 1.5 volts per cell, which seems to be the standard used in battery data tables, given my usage as stated above, how long could I theoretically run the cars non-stop before running out of power? I think it would be somewhere around 10 hours but I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious.

The reason I want to run the battery thru the inverter and then the power supply is because the power supply gives me a way to easily adjust the power level at the track as well as giving me some protection against a short circuit as the power supply is fused. The supply also has built in volt and amp meters.I've run the supply off the inverter which was then plugged into my van in the past with no problems and I could just hook up the battery directly but I don't want to run the cars at 12 + volts, they'll just fly off in the corners.

Am I close in my guesstimate of power consumption?

For those who know more about deep cycle batteries, is there a preferred method of re-charging them or will a standard battery charger work ok?

I'm also considering using a solar cell to keep the battery topped off, any downside to that? Do deep cycle batteries work ok with low current trickle charging?

For what it's worth, I built the track structure itself using some woodworking knowledge I picked up from the wreck, so thanks for that and thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer on the above.

John Emmons

"when hatred calls with his package, refuse delivery..."

Reply to
John Emmons

I thought this was a woodwork group?

If you had a wooden power supply, it woodn't work?

Reply to
ben

A trolling motor perhaps would go a long way to solving your very OT question. (Not a wooden trolling motor though). Jim

Reply to
Jim

It may be off topic but I assure you I'm not trolling for anything.

I'm trying to tap into the wisdom that exists on this list. As I wrote earlier, I built the track using some things I've learned here.

John Emmons

Reply to
John Emmons

John: A trolling motor is what you put on the front of a fishing boat when your really want to go slowly and quietly (to catch fish of course).

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I see, you have reading comprehension problems.

Glad we got that straightened out.

Thanks for the enlightening answer.

John

Reply to
John Emmons

[snip]

Try...

uk.d-i-y for your query.

p.s don't top post they hate it.

Reply to
ben

LOL

Reply to
Limey Lurker

Understand up front that what you are trying to do is very inefficient electrically.

Start with a pair of 6VDC, T105 or T125 golf cart batteries in series to get 12 VDC.

If you have a strong back, consider L16 floor sweeper batteries as an alternate.

Next you want a pure sine wave inverter, probably at least 1000 watts.

Non sime wave units are lower cost, but are not suggested for this application.

Recharging can be done a couple of ways, either with a decent battery recharger complete wit a good regulator (Color me expensive) or some solar panels complete with a blocking diode regulator.

An elcheapo automotive recharger will work in a pinch, but is not good over the long haul.

Expect to spend between $500-$1,000 to get up and running.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The electrical advice given hear runs in three categories: (1) Right. (2) Wrong. (3) Dangerous. If you take the advice in the first category, you will be fine. The other two, you don't want to mess with. It is up to you to decide what is right (you have a one in three chance). If you know enough to determine what is right and what is wrong, there is no need to ask. If you don't, you would be well advised to find a RELIABLE resource.

Reply to
CW

uh guys, did I mention that this is for a slot car track...it's pretty low tech.

I only need to be able to turn the thing on in a parking lot for a few hours at a stretch without plugging it into a standard AC socket.

Lew, your system while admirable in it's complexity is way more than I could ever need. I know that my battery to inverter to power supply is inefficient but it's only going to be used on a sporadic basis.

I do appreciate your efforts and thoughts.

Right now I've priced the battery at about $60.00, I've already got the inverter and a good battery charger to use. My main issue was how long the battery would hold up in use.

Thanks.

John Emmons

Reply to
John Emmons

It is the same system you described, only engineered to get the job done, but then again, what did you expect from a cruising sailor who lives on 12VDC battery power?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett
  1. DAGS on: "slot car" + home + track
  2. This will return some 171,000 hits
  3. When you find the one labeled
    you're on the right track (take a look at their plans for a slot car box while you're there. Great woodworking project for your cars)
  4. Get on the slot car "web ring" circuit. Many home/club tracks featured there with many detailed descriptions of all stages of track building. I've seen some with detailed instructions on adding battery power to home tracks. Been some years ago, when my kids were still at home, but it should have all the info you need.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

Thanks for the leads. I've actually build several slot car boxes already. That slotside article has been the start of many a home woodworking project.

I'm in the slot car business, my question was about amperage draw using a battery.

I appreciate the tips I did recieve. Sorry for those reading impaired few out there.

John Emmons

woodworking project for

featured there with many detailed

detailed instructions on adding