Last week I had to re-wire my table saw because the shop I am now in
has different 220V/20A outlets. The table saw is a Powermatic 66 220V
single-phase 3HP. About an hour after I did this, I was checking the
run-out, pressed my knee against the power switch box, and got a sharp
shock! Fortunately, only my right side was leaning against the saw at
the time; my left hand and leg were not touching it, so the shock did
not pass through my heart. It did wake me up a bit.
Today I pulled the wiring out and found a couple of places where the
wires had gotten nicked, so I re-wired it. I protected the power cable
where it goes into the power switch box with electrical tape as it
appeared that was where it had shorted out.
My question is this. How do I verify/check my connections without
getting shocked again? How does an electrician do this?