OT: Duck

Do wood ducks talk? I have an orange wing Amazon parrot that never shuts up, someone taught it to say "I'm a cat" and I am faced with listening to this until my dying day. Maybe I could trade it in on a wood duck.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

One thing I have never been accused of....

Reply to
Robatoy

Ever had a Muscovy?

Reply to
dadiOH

I guess all the holes you have bored were shallow then........

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

"Maxwell Lol" wrote

He can't help it. He is a countertop man. Limitations of materials and all that.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

They SURE ARE! Fast, too!

When I was a kid, our neighbors had them.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I take it we're not talking in a culinary sense... I hear they are leaner and tastier than the normal fare.

Reply to
MikeWhy

What does a two-hundred-pound mouse say?

Reply to
Doug Miller

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 03:20:23 +0000, zxcvbob wrote (in article ):

There is no "duck" or "you"

There is only the staring

The "thing-ness" of duck and self are merely the unfoldings of the process which is emptiness contemplating itself through the illusion of form

Reply to
Bored Borg

Finally someone who gets it....

Reply to
Robatoy

Hey Robatoy, The geese are very fgriendly to us, but they are protective too and will threaten visitors until challenged, then they back off. However, one of them knocked over my 93 year old mother-in-law (and no, I'm not glad, she's a real nice mother-in-law) and my wife was ready to kill that goose. It spent the rest of the day in detention (its pen). They will let us tickle them sometimes when they are preening. Scary thing is when they fly down the driveway to meet me. Have you ever been hit by a flying 10 pound goose who can't make sharp turns? It's no wonder they can take down jet planes. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Hey Basilisk (That's a lizard, ain't it?), Woodducks squeak and whistle a lot. Sometimes they "sing " along when they hear high pitched singing. Tee Nee squeaks in time to opera singers but the funniest thing was when he was keeping time with a James Brown song.

Reply to
marc rosen

Hello DadiOH, (Is that a hydroxyl group on the end of your name, basically speaking?) No Muscovies, but we almost adopted one from a wildlife rescue lady. We decided against it after we heard that it was beating up on the rescued Mallards she had. We were worried about our own Mallards. =20 Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Swans are worse. They put them in ponds on golf courses to keep the geese away.

Reply to
willshak

Tom Turkeys can be even worse. We had one while I was growing up that terrorize my younger brother. The thing would jump at him and beat him with its wings. It would stand on my grandfather's feet while he was working under machinery and stomp on his legs. Not only was it mean, it was really tough when we finally ate it.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

marc

Look here for a full description of basilisk:

sure what this says about me.

I once had a pet muscovy, they have a lot of character, SWMBO objected to it attacking the kids, so it had to go.

We have thinned the zoo down some, got rid of all the poisonous snakes (lost my nerve for handling them) and all the lizards. We do animal rescue, but at the moment all the possums, coons and deer are grown and gone.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

... snip

ah, memories of mis-spent youth playing D&D.

Me too -- long shovel and 22 caliber shotshells are good for that.

Oh, you kept them as pets? Yikes! /alright, wise-@$$ mode off

Lizards, OTOH, I like. Have always been fascinated by them and their astounding ability to move fast.

Very neat pursuit. Good onya

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Yep, I remember calling supper by its given name, and you are right he or she was generally tough.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

I only wish animal rescue was as great as it appears, it is very hard to raise a wild animal and keep it self sufficient enough to return to the wild. Coons are easy, they are very adaptable and learn to get by own their own, deer become pets and they resist leaving. It is interesting to see the look on visitors faces when a deer walks out of the woods and sniffs them over. Then there is the financial aspect, here when you accept the job it doesn't come with any support, the game wardens will drop off an animal and you are own your own. Sometimes we are successful and it makes it worth doing.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk