OT Craigs List

"Curran Copeland" wrote Who is getting scammed here and by whom? I took one of the checks to my bank and they took one look at it and said they wouldn't even cash it for me. So who is losing money on this?

Reply to
Kate

I did both the local police, State Police and Sherriff. All told me same thing"Don't Cash the Check", they claim that there are too many of these scams going on and they are so expensive to persue that they don't have the resources to do any thing about them. Alot of them seem to be international in scope and out of the venue of the local or even federial authorities.

Reply to
Curran Copeland

There are federal agencies interested in such scams although you shouldn't expect action on your particular complaint, but they do want info.

DGDevin

"Curran Copeland" wrote

international

There was actually a Houston CL "ad" this morning where some individual was warning about the exact same scam on an item ... looks like the scammers may have "flagged" it enough times to get his warning post removed. :(

Reply to
Swingman

RE: Swingman's comment about my non-existant debit csrd.

It was announced last week that scammers had used some high tech gear to get debit card and matching PIN numbers that were used at a local gas station.

Got over $400K before it was stopped.

Gas station owner was cleared since he also got scammed.

The fraudulent activity took place not only in the metro Los Angeles area, but also metro New York City.

And no, they did not get my non-existant card number.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I did both the local police, State Police and Sherriff. All told me same thing"Don't Cash the Check", they claim that there are too many of these scams going on and they are so expensive to persue that they don't have the resources to do any thing about them. Alot of them seem to be international in scope and out of the venue of the local or even federial authorities.

Amazing, isn't it? That's a darn shame.

K.

Reply to
Kate

It sure is.

Reply to
Curran Copeland

Unless it is big iron just arrange to meet somewhere other than home.

Reply to
Brian Elfert

I haven't found this snopes link in this thread yet:

don't seem to be international, they ARE all international. That's a key part of the scam.

"The scam works because the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. (FDIC) requires banks to make money from cashier's, certified, or teller's checks available in one to five days. Consequently, funds from checks that might not be good are often released into payees' accounts long before the checks have been honored by their issuing banks. High quality forgeries can be bounced back and forth between banks for weeks before anyone catches on to their being worthless, by which time victims have long since wired the "overpayments" to the con artists who have just taken them for a ride."

If the bank does accept the check and give you the money, the only way to be safe is to hold the cash till the check actually does clear or not clear. Which, assuming the bank doesn't spot it and refuse to cash it, can take weeks.

I suppose one can actually make money on it by using the time it takes to clear to invest it in something short-term and high return. But most of those schemes are also illegal. :-)

Reply to
else24