OT: California vs. Texas

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

Cus he is an honorary Kennedy. He married one.

Which is a high risk family to be in.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Welcome to Texas! Gun laws done right...a Gov. with some stones....no state income tax...minimal whimps... COME ON DOWN!! And we know how to do some BBQ...great weather...does it really get any better? I don't think so.... And think about it...if "the big one" hits...you can go to the beach in Albuquerque! lol...

Reply to
Thos

The governor of Texas prolly carries and would shoot back?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

County Line - Austin!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Taste is a personal thing but I doubt County Line cracks the Top 100. Luling City Market gets my vote and my business - regularly. I hear there's a couple of top-rated joints just up the road in Lockhart, too.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave In Texas

----------------------------------------------------- You must be kidding.

Pick a time, pick a place in Texas, the weather still sucks.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Naaa... If I want some of that 'culture' I will soak in it in Alberta Canada. The fact there are no wimps in Alberta, is a gimme, because none exist in Canada.

Reply to
Robatoy

Indeed, Texas has its fair share of wimps ... but most weren't born here. Well, except perhaps for the current crop of yuppie puppies.

In the last 30 years, in cultural attitudes, spirit of laws, and the demographics of rural land ownership, it is almost indistinguishable from the Mid West or NE.

AAMOF, traveling through the country on tours in the last twenty years and you quickly note that regional differences are basically extinct in the US.

Wal-Mart and the golden arches are everywhere ...

Reply to
Swingman

Could be, but I never spent much time in Texas to know (other than four months at Lackland AFB). It sure beats what we have here.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

And it's been getting worse and worse since the early 1980s. I used to travel a fair amount on business and typically got taken to lunch by the local customer or our sales rep. Inevitably ended up in some place indistinguishable from the last three towns on the trip. Only way to get away from it is to get out of the cities and off the freeways. And even then you still find the chains like McD's.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

County Line in Austin on 2222 IIRC - edge of the lake - was our Saturday night almost every Saturday and then back to Austin for Kaluoa (sp) Mouse.

It is the place. If we only lived there again.

Martin

Mart>> Welcome to Texas! Gun laws done right...a Gov. with some stones....no

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

That's not necessarily a bad thing. (OK, except for McD's). At least uniformity of product and quality is present. I've been in lots of places where a good chain would have been welcome because the local service/food was so bad.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

That's not necessarily a bad thing. (OK, except for McD's). At least uniformity of product and quality is present. I've been in lots of places where a good chain would have been welcome because the local service/food was so bad.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Hey you got to take Some risks in life. Though SWMBO will no longer eat in places with painted saws on the walls ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

... snip

Heh. Funny thing is, some of the better places are the ones with painted saws on the walls. :-)

Key is to look for the busy places where the locals go. If it's not crowded and the locals aren't frequenting it, it probably isn't a good idea for a visitor to eat there either.

There are some towns where the locals go out of town to eat. That's the places where a good chain would be welcome.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

That's true, but variety being the spice of life, next door to the fast food chain ticky tacky boxes in many small towns of the country are little jewels of places to eat just waiting to be discovered:

A family owned chinese restaurant in an out of way strip center in the little town of Synder, NW of Abilene, in West Texas serves the best old timey "country style" breakfast you'll find anywhere on the planet. (It was the pickups in front at 5AM, on otherewise deserted streets, which gave up its well guarded secret). I mean breakfast, in a chinese restaurant, fercrissakes ...!

Between McD' and BK's in Giddings, TX is a clean, sparkling, bright yellow building about 100' off Hwy 290 run by an hispanic family. "Taqueria Chihuahua" makes the biggest, and absolute best, breakfast burrito on the planet. A #9 (scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon and cheese) with hot sauce (rojo), will take two hands to hold and stick to your ribs 'til lunch. Be prepared to stand in line between 5 and 9 AM ... oh, and watch those pickups backing onto the highway.

There's a theme there ... at least in Texas. :)

Reply to
Swingman

You're right that our gun laws have been relaxed. The previous gun law (from

1876) read: "No person shall carry on or about his person, purse, portfolio, or saddlebag any pistol, dirk, dagger, Bowie Knife or any other knife made for the purpose of offense or defense, knuckles made of brass or any hard metal..."

Still, there are improvements in the works:

  • Open carry
  • Carry in schools - mainly colleges - with a concealed handgun license
  • Parking lots of employers who nearly itch to death over the concept of a gun

We can already concealed carry (with license) in places that serve alcohol, churches, any building owned or used by an agency of government (except schools, jails, and courts), hospitals, the car, unsecured areas of airports, fair grounds, amusement parks, libraries, parks, and lots of other places some states frown on.

Reply to
HeyBub

So what? We in Houston didn't build the first air-conditioned, domed, sports stadium to be ostentatious! Fran Liebowitz (a New York author) once said: "The outdoors is something through which I pass between my apartment and my car."

That sentiment works for many of us.

Reply to
HeyBub

It's a maxim in New York that you can tell you're in a Jewish neighborhood by the density of Chinese restaurants.

Reply to
HeyBub