Preserving a resin finish

Hi there, I've got a serving tray with a resin finish (covering decopage) that's showing some wear in places. I'd really like to preserve it as it was built by my father in law who's since passed away.

Any ideas on the best approach? Stripping the existing finish, even if possible, would ruin the decopage, so cleaning and 'additional coats' (or doing nothing) would appear to be my only options. Waxes, oils, fresh resin, ... any ideas?

Reply to
Scatter

By "wear" do you mean areas that are less shiny? If so, they can be polished up with various compounds to any where from a matte to high gloss. "Compounds" includes pumice (various grits available), rouge (auto rubbing compound), various for polishing plastic.

You could also rub the entire surface down with #0000 steel wool then apply paste wax. That won't give you a high gloss but it will give a nice sheen.

Unless you are used to using resin, don't try to apply more.

Reply to
dadiOH

Are you sure it is a resin finish for the topcoat? Decoupage is usually covered with lacquer, so that it doesn't discolor. There may be a resin over the initial lacquer decoupage coating, also. For there to be wear on a resin coating, someone must have done a lot of serving with that tray.

Test that top coating to make sure it isn't lacquer.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Thanks Sonny

The short answer is no, although I'm pretty sure he used resin in there somewhere. On closer inspection it may only be the "inside base" that's had resin poured onto it and it is in fine condition. It's more the upper corners and outside edges that are showing wear and perhaps it has a different coating.

I'm going to give it a careful but thorough cleaning first - what's a good test for lacquer? I thought that it doesn't remelt with solvent once cured.

and thanks dadiOH - paste wax is a good suggestion. It's pretty safe and will help preserve the timber that's becoming exposed.

Reply to
Scatter

- what's a good test for lacquer?

Acetone or lacquer thinner. If you don't have any cans (in the shop), borrow your wife's/girlfriend's finger nail polish remover (acetone) and dab half a drop on and see if it melts.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Sonny wrote in news:b2c70b8d-13df-41b9-ad34- snipped-for-privacy@k19g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

FWIW, not all nail polish remover contains acetone. That also means the non-acetone stuff probably won't unstick super glue.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper