Preserving Unused Finish?

Question (*1):

I have a homemade finish of 1 part BLO, 1 part TO, 2 parts varnish, and 2 parts pure terps.

The unused portion of the last batch I made, (and stored in a closed mason jar), turned all icky-gooey(*2) on the top third or so, making it, (I assume), unusable.

Can I preserve what's left of my current batch by covering it with a film of plastic wrap like I do with unused paint or is this a really baaad idea? If so, any suggestions? (*3)

Michael Baglio

*1) I'll ask the dumb questions, so you don't have to. *2) "Icky-Gooey" is not, to the best of my knowledge, a real wooddorking term. You'll have to use your imagination. :) *3) Besides making up less of the recipe like I should have? ;>
Reply to
Michael Baglio

: Question (*1):

: I have a homemade finish of 1 part BLO, 1 part TO, 2 parts varnish, : and 2 parts pure terps.

: The unused portion of the last batch I made, (and stored in a closed : mason jar), turned all icky-gooey(*2) on the top third or so, making : it, (I assume), unusable.

Yes. It's started to polymerize due to exposure to oxygen.

: Can I preserve what's left of my current batch by covering it with a : film of plastic wrap like I do with unused paint or is this a really : baaad idea? If so, any suggestions? (*3)

If it was completely protected from air, you could try this, but if it's iff I would toss it and make up a fresh batch.

There's a few things you can do to keep this from happening again. The best one is to get a can of Bloygen, which is a mixture of inert gasses that is heavier than air. You squirt it into the jar, and the gas settles on top, preventing any oxygen contact. You can get it at woodworking stores, as well as liquor stores (it's sold to protect wine as well).

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Reply to
Phil

Bloxygen. Sounds perfect. Thanks, Michael Baglio

Reply to
Michael Baglio

woodfinishingsupplies.com also has Bloxygen, as well as more of your other ingredients to make yourself a new batch..

Renata

Reply to
Renata