OT: Burgers!

RicodJour wrote in news:dbf3c056-fadf-4529-8b46- snipped-for-privacy@n4g2000vba.googlegroups.com:

If only you could harness it to power your horseless carriage...

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I use a cast-iron brick, with holes in the removable lid and I fill it with wood chips. It sits on the 'flavourizer' bars of my Weber. Ang and I broke down 10 years ago and dropped (what we thought was a lot) some serious coin on a BBQ. A Weber Silver B. Looking back, that was a very good decision. That thing has only cost me a $ 13.00 igniter. It lives outside and gets used year-round. People all around me have replaced their BBQ at least twice since then. Some have those massive all-stainless-looking monstrosities with the big fat knobs and a dozen shelves, doors, etc. The things fall apart, and replacement parts are hard to come by. When I gave it my annual cleaning this spring, the burners were still rock-solid. The grates are stainless and show no wear to speak of. Highly recommended. A couple of people I know have Napoleon and Vermont Casting BBQ's. They are also very happy. Bottom line, a good Q costs the best part of a G-note.

So much for gas. It is hard to beat a real charcoal jobbie, like a Weber round ball.

The draw-back of using the wood-chip-filled brick, is that it has to come to temperature before the 'charcoalification' process to begin, wasting fuel. But once that thing starts wafting smoke into the ol' Q, look-out! Those meats take on a flavour, all smokey, right quick. I use alder, hickory, mesquite, apple... and even tried cherry (we didn't like that so much..as we didn't like oak or particle- board..LOL)

Reply to
Robatoy

  1. Fairly fat ground beef...30% or more

  1. Cooked so it is still pink in the middle

  2. Bun wiped in cooking residue

  1. Topped with a nice slice of raw onion.

  2. Salt, pepper and - sometimes - some garlic. Garlic sauteed in oil preferably, a shake of powder is less desireable.

IOW, no catsup, no mayo, no mustard, no pickle, no salad...just meat, bun, onion and grease. Grease is good :) _____________

Do you actually mean Blue cheese or are you including roquefort, gorgonzola, Stilton, etc. in that catagory? I happen to love the salty smoothness of roquefort but I wouldn't put it on a burger. Stilton maybe, Blue, not a chance. For a cheese burger, I'd use an extra sharp white cheddar.

Reply to
dadiOH

They are the same as Vidalia, just grown on Maui. Both are just plain old yellow onions but milder due to the soil where thay are grown.

Reply to
dadiOH

[...]

I hear that the Chinese particle boards adds a distinct flavor with a variety rare earth/heavy metals that will help preserve the meat.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

"basilisk" wrote

Not to mention the cat piss flavor.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Did you happen to notice the name of the photographer?

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Don't care for burgers at all, but my favorite meat is liver and onions.

Reply to
Phisherman

LOL. Should have known he'd be doing 'it better'..

Reply to
Robatoy

original recipe, it still makes me shudder a little. Gorgonzola works great. Danish blue does as well. Roquefort...no that goes with fresh fruit.

Reply to
Robatoy

The key for me is the grillin' sauce. I like it hot. Real hot. Here's a great recipe for moderately hot BBQ sauce. If you like it real hot, substitute a dozen habanero peppers (those orange mamas) for the jalopenos in the recipe.

6 tablespoons soybean oil 1 medium onion, diced 4 jalapeno peppers, stemmed and diced (do not remove seeds) 1 tablespoon salt 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder 1/2 tablespoon black pepper 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt 1/2 cup brown sugar 3/4 cup cider vinegar 3 cups ketchup 1/2 cup molasses 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce 1 cup water

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and jalapenos and cook over medium heat until onions are soft and transparent, about 5 minutes. Add salt, dry mustard, black pepper, cayenne, and garlic salt. Stir to combine and then mix in the brown sugar. Add the cider vinegar, ketchup, molasses, Worcestershire, and water and whisk all together until thoroughly combined. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 to

35 minutes, whisking every few minutes to prevent sauce from burning and sticking to bottom. Strain sauce to remove onions and jalapenos before serving.

>>> I just watched this blog about cheeseburgers and suddenly had an >> epiphany.

Reply to
TD Driver

I'm waiting for the Veritas sandwich press.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

The local Black Angus sells a blueburger with blue cheese, mushrooms, onions, and the usual condiments. It's also one of the few places left that will do a blood rare burger. That's where I go when I want a real burger and not a cremated cow.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

i can still remember a place (in texas no less) that made me sign a release to get a rare burger.

Reply to
charlie

The only rare burger I will eat, is one that I grind myself.

Reply to
Robatoy

'Splain about the original "recipe', please. Far as I know, the stuff is still made the same way since when it got its name. You poke holes in the cheese and let the fungus do the work.

Apparently the stuff causes mild hallucinations. This from Wiki:

Bizarre dreams A 2005 study carried out by the British Cheese Board claimed that when it came to dream types, Stilton cheese seemed to cause odd dreams, with 75% of men and 85% of women experiencing bizarre and vivid dreams after eating a 20-gram serving of the cheese half an hour before going to sleep.[6]

RicodJour

There's a place around here that absolutely refuses to sell a rare burger. I offered to sign a release and they still said no way.

The funny thing about it is if they're so concerned about health, that they sell an absolutely fookin' HUGE burger and take a picture of the people who finish it and post it on the wall. I've never seen a wall of pictures of such FAT people before. The kid's section was the most disturbing.

RicodJour

You mean him?

Robatoy

Unpasturized Stilton was packed in cow urine... or so the story goes when Chef went nuts looking for it.

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy