OT: Are Woodworkers smarter than your average bear?

Or, more likely, low reading ability.

That's why we catch misspell> > A more interesting consideration than intelligence for wood workers ...

Reply to
George

I got this:

"Congratulations, Brian! Your IQ score is 192

Your Intellectual Type is Philosopher-King. This means you are highly intelligent, so much so that you avoid physical labor and exert your intelligence to coerce or mislead others into doing it for you. If you are not a Captain of Industry, you should be in a fairer world, and if only nations would obey your commands a Utopia would be a possiblility instead of an unreachable dream. Godlike in your sagacity, and humble in your humility, you cannot but feel as though tests such as these are the only validatoion of your innate and yet obvious superiority to nearly all other human beings. Your taking our survey honors us, and your presence upon this Earth during our lifetimes gives our existence meaning. Our daughters are yours for the asking."

Kinda needed that to brighten my day.

Reply to
Brian Siano

Actually, a really good overview is _The IQ Controversy_, a collection of essays edited by Block and Dworkin in the mid-1970's. Gould's book is a decent history, and Tucker's _The Science and Politics of Racial Research_ is an even better history.

_The Bell Curve_ should not be read in isolation: I'd strongly recommend reading _Intelligence, Genes and Success_ (ed. Devlin) and Fischer's _Inequality by Design_ alongside. The former re-evaluates the data and analysis of Murray and Herrnstein, the latter examines their political analyses.

One of the main criticisms of IQ claims-- not the only one-- is that what is being _measured_ isn't well defined. By and large, the skills measured on IQ tests tend to be clerical in nature. The same questions, presented in different ways can get wildly varying results. And the results are also strongly influenced by social factors-- ever try to do long division with Roman numerals?

What's termed Spearman's g is, basically, a correlation of factors which are measured in IQ tests. It's not an _average_, actually, but it's sort of a general measure derived from others. But one can't really call it a "trait." It'd as though one measured an athlete's skills at a) skiing, b) javelin-throwing, c) archery, and d) weightlifting, and combined them all into a single number called "Athletic ability." It's a number, sure, and one might get some insights using it. But it's not so much a trait as it is a statistical convenience.

Reply to
Brian Siano

Apparently gaining in the dyslexia/presbyopia department as I get older, I originally read that as:

... however, it works either way. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Hey, you have a great understress GCT score. Having a functioning mind under stress might be something that the Marine Corps would like to know.

Mine 136 GCT, San Diego 1975, similar drill.

Wes USMC 75-79 MOS 6657

Reply to
clutch

Isn't that about the time they should assign you to Sniper/Recon instead of handing you that 'Mattel-O-Matic' ?

'They' feed you all you want to hear, then there is that last line in the 'contract' . . ."The needs of the Service come first".

Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {of course I still consider it a highlight of my life, and it got me the house I now own, helped with college, and that led me to my bride of 31 years}

SNIP

SNIP

Reply to
Ron Magen

Wes, Know the feeling . . . 'Airborne Electronic Navigational Aide Equipment Technician. Ditto on the soldering gun.

I scored just about perfect in all four 'Classification Categories . . . could have any choice I wanted. At the time I was thinking 'Career' and wanted 'Missile Electronics'. {in retrospect, maybe not the best choice}. Because of my bad eye {Vision - NOT color blindness}- no dice . . . got Airborne Nav-Aids instead . . . 38 weeks of Tech School in Biloxi, MS

I owned one before I enlisted. When they were giving the first day of 'instruction' they said to 'field strip the piece'. About 45 seconds later I had it in pieces. The Instructor flipped !! He said, he meant the two parts - stock and action. 'Oh, you mean this' and as I said it I put it back together. Talk about pissed . . . and there was nothing he could do. The next day was 'wet' fire. We 'sighted in'. I had a nice, tight group . . . just below the bull. I asked to bring it up 4 clicks . . . told NO. I asked to look through the spotting scope . . . again told NO. Because of that, instead of my usual '6 O'clock hold' I had to 'hold center' and bury the front sight in the black bull. Not the tight group I would have liked, but they were all in there and I qualified 'Expert'.

Almost the same thing a year later, in the Philippines with the M-16. Only this time I kept my mouth shut, and we shot at a silhouette. No 'bull', just get all 60 hits. "Not bad for a one-eyed fat man".

.

As far as the 'GI Bill'. I can still hear my dad and his buddies when I came back. While it paid me 'X' dollars a month for the 9 months a year I was in school, they thought it was the same as when they 'got out'. Tuition, books, and a 'living allowance'. Anyhow, it took the GI Bill, working summers & after school, plus a loan . . . but I got my degree. The first one in my family. {So now I'm an 'Over' - Over-educated, Over-qualified, and Over-fifty !!}

I haven't a clue as to,'now'. The last commercial I saw seemed to indicate a 'lump amount and 'matching funds to the individual's savings.

Regards & Good Luck, R>

SNIP

Reply to
Ron Magen

My uncles were the same. Thought it was all covered. $125 a month (married, $100 single) for 9 months. College was cheaper then--my SUNY at Albany tuition was, IIRC, $200 a semester and Columbia was $40 a credit hour (considered very expensive, at least by me, which is why I ended up in Albany). Worked summers, worked afternoons and nights--the joys of loaded tires on trucks at midnight in August.

I think I saw one that said $25,000 was possible. Sounds great. My grandson is ready to attend UVa. I think 25K just might cover 2 years there. But maybe not, too. So-called prestige colleges are said to be running $40,000 a year and up. Yale, anyone?

Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Reply to
Charlie Self

Charlie, For what it's worth, I think the Bill was {maybe still is - for whatever reason}focused on 'local' or 'land grant'{?}schools. Sort of what 'Glassboro State Teachers College' would have been for me, an 'Atlantic City boy'. {Of course it's now Rowan University - amazing what money and an ego can do, isn't it}. Could have gone there, would have cost about 'a fishcake'. That was my 'backup plan' - if I was to stupid to get in anywhere else, all I had to do was be able to sign my name and I was 'in'.

{DON'T say 'No' . I remember all the 'big ego Seniors' when I was a Freshman. Family with a TON of money, and they were one step above a 'pump jockey' in smarts, yet going out to set the world on fire. 4 years later, when I was a Senior, guess who 'showed up' on their first 'Student Teaching Assignments' ? Just as stupid, only 4 years older and back in the same place they started. ZERO 'real life' experience - they 'traveled' 30 miles up the road.}

Remember, this is the same state that also had the prestigious schools of Princeton and Rutgers. Both maybe an hour {or so} away. Princeton? - WAY out of my league. Did get accepted to Rutgers, though - Engineering Program. Of course the money would have only lasted about 6 months . . .

I met Another ex-USAF guy while I was in school. While not a 'State' college, 'Philly Textile' {NOW - 'Pennsylvania University' - I think ??}was 'in' Pennsylvania so he was an 'in-state' student, plus he lived at home & 'commuted' about 10 miles to school. For him, no loans & everything was covered.

Odd that you should mention Yale. While in school I dated a girl who lived out on the 'Main Line'. Maybe I was her 'charity case', but you take what you can get . . . She had a younger sister who was in a 'semi-private' school. Maybe 4 years after our graduation, we had both married and all 4 of us were friends, her sister was ready for college. New Haven - YALE - major ?? - 'Women's Studies' !! {actually, Tennis}Don't think she ever graduated, never became the 'Champion' everyone anticipated {I think she started teaching Tennis in the Phila area}, but never really had to 'work' a day in her life.

Ah, the value of that 'Ivy League Education'.

Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {who did get to eat in the Yale student cafeteria, before the Moose Head was stolen}

"Charlie Self" wrote

Reply to
Ron Magen

Ron Magen responds:

Yeah. Good ol' Albany State as it was when I went there is now THE University At Albany.

I keep trying to find a sticker or decal that says Albany State. Formerly NY State Teachers College.

Sheest. Pretentious twaddle builds up daily.

Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Reply to
Charlie Self

Mine went from Bellingham Normal to WWCE/Western Washington College of Education (while I was there) to WWSC/Western Washington State College to WWU/Western Washington University.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Yes. All sorts of marketing goes on. Speaking of which, what is happening with Woodcraft University?

Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Reply to
Charlie Self

There is an -actual- difference between a college and a university.

Having to do with the number of types of degree they offer.

A college offers _one_ type -- e.g. a 'B.A.' _or_ a 'B.S.' undergraduate degrees and advanced degrees in the _same_ area count as a single type. e.g. a BA, and an MA. A university offers more than a single type of degree.

I believe that 'appropriate' naming of the institution is an actual requirement of the accrediting authorities.

The 'breadth of learning' available at a university _is_ noticeably wider than at a college.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

It's the *only* place where the 'reject' grade is P.H.D.

At least when the scrap box is overflowing. *snicker*

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

There was also the 'North Idaho College of Education' (now Lewis-Clark State College, Lewiston ID). My dad thought that cheerleaders there should *really* have the acronym for the college across the front of their sweaters. "Truth in advertising", as it were.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Bob Bonomi states:

I know, but...as I said, it was State University at Albany when I attended, AKA Albany State. In other words, it's been a university since it was no longer a teacher's college (1949, IRC). But it pretentiously became THE University, at Albany, a few years ago, reminding me of why I generally try to stay well away from higher education types. Of course, Parkersburg has THE attorney-at-law, advertising constantly on TV. Hell, Albany State is only THE university because Russell Sage and Union are located across the Mohawk in contiguous cities.

The above definition is why I asked if anyone had any comments on the Woodcraft "University" in another post.

Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Reply to
Charlie Self

There's a thriving business at the bookstore of Finlandia University in initialed wear.

Ball State sold a much-sought-after "Ball U" shirt back when I was up in South Bend.

Reply to
George

Around twenty years ago, At the University of Illinois, the women's engineering fraternity (the Society of Women Engineers, SWE) had the distinction of having one of the t-shirts they sold as a fund-raiser, get *banned* by the university.

The graphic a bearskin-clad caveman hunkered down in the foreground, chipping away at this 'round-shaped' stone, mounted on a horizontal stick through the hole in the center of it. In the background there was a cave entrance, standing near it is a curvacious cavewoman, clad in Wilma Flintstone type bearskin. and a 'come hither' pose.

The caption below the artwork read:

Engineering. The world's _SECOND__-oldest profession.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

More accurately the breadth of learning available at a university is "notably" wider than at a college. That is to say "worthy of note" whereas "noticeably" would indicate that the fact is readily noticed.

'Notably', we resort to pure distraction to avoid testing the finish on our latest projects. A solid strategy to avoid leaving a 'noticeable' fingerprint for our efforts.

Deep

Reply to
Rudy Lang