OT: Are Woodworkers smarter than your average bear?

LOL.. My wife and son took the test some months back and scored in the high

130's.
Reply to
Leon

Hmmmm, if I came in from the woods to take a sh*t, does that make me smarter'n him?

Of course, I haven't turned over any logs nor eaten any ants since survival school, either....

Reply to
George

SO I tried it too.

I couldn't get past the page asking for lots of personal info. I answered these questions, but didn't elect to get their newsletter

Did others refuse the newsletter?

I have an ad blocker, "Ad Smasher", running in the background at all times. Ad Smasher informed me something was being pushed on my computer, and the something was being refused.

Maybe this is a data mining operation??

James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

Reply to
brocpuffs

I got through that page and when i submitted it it refused my e-mail addy, the real one. I checked my mail and it had accepted it afterall. I clicked on the link and wasn't able to retrieve any results. PITA as far as I'm concerned. I told them to remove my data from their dB and lists. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

Ya think?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

The only true information I gave was my DOB as it is necessary to get an accurate score since IQ is based on age. All the other information, including an email address was made up.

Nova

OK, I bit, although I didn't spend much time on it. It said mine was 135 which is 30 less than it was in high school. Considering that was 50 years ago, it's probably right :-).

Now we'll see how much spam I get at a throwaway email address :-). Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Is that why teenagers are so damned smart? I can recall our youngest telling us that her 8th grade schoolmates could do better at running the country...this was the day after a kid at a dance got bumped off the bleachers, almost knocked himself out, and the entire dance erupted in threats from his brothers (to the persons who supposedly pushed him off the seat), and running mascara amongst all the girls who thought the dizzy kid was dead, even though he was sitting up and moving his head.

Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Reply to
Charlie Self

Sooooo, the older we get, the more on we get. I knew there was a reason...

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

It's amazing how much smarter your parents get as you grow older.

Reply to
J. Clarke

142 Visionary Philosopher. Yeah, me and Plato. Must mean I'm a pretty good guesser.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Owen Lowe = 138 / Visionary Philosopher

NANNYNANNYBOOBOO!!

Interesting how it appears more of us were deemed VPs than WWs, VMs or FCs...

Back in high skool my score was 133, so maybe getting old does have merits.

I'd also like to know the ones I got wrong but couldn't find any link to let me know.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Ahh, Survival School. They told me if we could catch a Bush Rat it would taste like a Brown Snake which is like chewy chicken. Well, 2.5 weeks in, we caught one - the bastids lied. Bush rat tastes just like bush rat, which I imagine is like any other rat.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Millen

There are some things I'm really happy I don't know firsthand.

Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Reply to
Charlie Self

Well, the answer is yes, we are smarter than the average bear, just! (or bearly :)

The figures: 135, 127, 142, 136, 127, 129, 131, 135, 138, 144, 133, 142,

135, 158, 133.

Average IQ of USA: 98 Starting IQ for an Astronomer: 120

Average from sample of 15 on the Wreck: 136.33

5% of population > 126 Avg Mensa ~ 146

Very roughly: Gifted > 130 (one in one hundred) Highly Gifted - 140ish to high 150s (one in one thousand) Extremely Gifted - over 160 (one in one hundred thousand) Profoundly Gifted - over 180 (one in one million)

National averages:

Groggy

On 07 Jun 2004 07:34:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) calmly ranted:

Ayup. Distastefulness by proxy has its advantages.

------------------------------------------------------------------ Vote early, Vote often, Vote for Chad!

Comprehensive Website & Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Groggy, I question these national averages. While the IQ test was designed around an expected score of 100 and a standard deviation of

10, I have read lately that the national average has climbed almost a full standard deviation, meaning that an IQ score of 130 is only two standard deviations from the mean, or roughly 95% falls under that score.

I don't believe these internet test sites are reliable. I have scored as high as 165, which I know is not true.

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 23:38:01 -0700, Fly-by-Night CC calmly ranted:

Boy, howdy!

Huh?!?

It's probably a highly scientific (read: "random") formula they use on the extremely valuable test they give out freely.

You pay your $12.95 and JUST MAYBE find out if it's in the 15 page detailed report. Har!

------------------------------------------------------------------ Vote early, Vote often, Vote for Chad!

Comprehensive Website & Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

At 60, I knew I've lost a step or two but didnt' think it was all that much. I actually thought I answered all but one question correctly (the one with all the colors, but then again, it may not have had anything to do with with the colors). Hmmmm ... I'd better behave from here on out as it appears I am no longer the smartass I once thought I was.

My guess, from the questions, is that this one can't be too very far off being in the ball park. My Army GCT (147) in '67, with easier questions as I recall, but longer and timed, resulted in an invitation (declined).to a Mensa chapter when I was in Germany. IIRC, the cutoff for that invite back then was a 136 GCT.

I've heard that the Army testing procedure is no longer the same ... not surprsing to hear that in this day and age..

Reply to
Swingman

I got them all correct when I took that test a year ago or so. It doesn't appear to have changed. If you have any particular questions that you were unsure of, I'd be happy to help. I suppose I could go through it again and list the answers, if anybody cares.

Cheers!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson