OT - 18 Year Old Pole Vaulter Mondo Duplantis

Local community is all abuzz about Lafayette High School teen pole vaulter, Mondo Duplantis. This past week, he set personal and high school records on 3 straight vaults, clearing the bar by 5"-10" inches, as per videos sho w. His best vault was right at 2" short of the overall world record. No doubt he'll set the world record soon.... we hope.

Seldom does a community have such outstanding young talent, no matter where or what the endeavor. I, as others, am excited for Mondo and looking for ward to watching him break the world record.

This video is from June 2018 event. I couldn't find this weeks event vide o, maybe it's not posted online, yet:

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

That is great! Looks like a future Olympian.

BTY I understand that the "red" on the bar is not paint. It is red hot and provides incentive to not touch it. ;~)

The slo-mo almost looks too perfect!

Reply to
Leon

I stepped across the threshold to the shower this morning. Do that every day and it adds up.

I don't know how thee guys contort their body to get up like that. Amazing.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Indeed one of those comes along rarely indeed...when we moved back to the farm there was one here -- 7-ft+ high-jumper in HS. I still believe he could have been world-class decathlete but quit track after HS to concentrate on b-ball. Ended up w/ a short stint a couple of times w/ Spurs but then had long career all over Europe from Spain, France, Italy, Russia, ...

Reply to
dpb

European Championships, with English commentary. At the start of this competition, Mondo's personal best and under-twenty world record is 5.93 meters.

The competition, with Swedish (?) commentary. Renaud Lavillenie is the present overall world record holder, at 6.16 meters. Mondo's winning vault is 4.33 inches short of the overall world record.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny