Is this safe????

It's in a joist pree drilled
On 8/22/2018 1:44 PM, Clare wrote:

Is what safe, the rope or the Eye bolt?
I would think the bolt should go in further.
On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 2:44:30 PM UTC-4, Clare wrote:

I would not rely on on a lag screw, especially where it could spin/rotate. I put a pair of 2x4's with 1/2" plywood spacers across 2 joists (attic) and used a threaded eye bolt/locknut and a 3/4" plywood "washer" to hang a sim ilar chair, and likewise on a "floating" corner of a loft bed, rather than a corner post to the floor...

I agree. Don't drill a hole to weaken the one joist you are using to support the load. Spread the load over two or more joists.
On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 1:44:30 PM UTC-5, Clare wrote:

Porch swings are hung using eye bolts. It depends on how large (diameter) the eye bolt is and how long it is, to have more than enough threads into the joist. I wouldn't trust or feel comfortable with a 1/4" eye bolt, which looks, to me, what that is.
I vote: No.
Sonny

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/eye-bolts/Forged-Eye-Bolt-Working-Load-Limits.aspx
two 1/4" eye bolts (forged, fully closed eye, not home depot) should support a load of 1000 pounds.
for non-forged (wire, i.e. not fully closed) eye bolts, the limit is 50# per each 1/4"
On 8/22/2018 1:44 PM, Clare wrote:

As Leon says, the screw should have full thread depth in the wood; we don't know what size the screw is nor pilot hole was drilled so can't comment on what might be the actual installed strength of the connection.
"Safe" depends on what the maximum working load is going to be as well from a purely practical standpoint without consideration of any code-like rules...

On 8/22/2018 4:09 PM, dpb wrote:

And let's not even speak to the load capacity of the cord, the canvas (?) seating, the weight of the occupant, the. . .
On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 17:26:48 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

Person I used to know made slings for people who engage in "alternative lifestyles". His general rule was that if it wouldn't hold a Hemi, it wasn't strong enough (yes, he had a large Chrysler engine that he used as a test article).
On 8/22/2018 7:04 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Some people weigh more than a typical V* engine.

Static vs active load.

Anybody who weights more than 700 pounds probably won't be playing in a sling.
On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 22:15:03 -0400, J. Clarke

But 200 lbs in action exerts more force on that hook than a hanging 700lb hemi!!!!

Which is why he bounces it.
On 8/24/2018 6:07 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Does he spin it too?