Is this safe????

It's in a joist pree drilled

Clare

Is what safe, the rope or the Eye bolt?

I would think the bolt should go in further.

Reply to
Leon

I would not rely on on a lag screw, especially where it could spin/rotate. I put a pair of 2x4's with 1/2" plywood spacers across 2 joists (attic) and used a threaded eye bolt/locknut and a 3/4" plywood "washer" to hang a sim ilar chair, and likewise on a "floating" corner of a loft bed, rather than a corner post to the floor...

Reply to
bnwelch

Porch swings are hung using eye bolts. It depends on how large (diameter) the eye bolt is and how long it is, to have more than enough threads into the joist. I wouldn't trust or feel comfortable with a 1/4" eye bolt, which looks, to me, what that is.

I vote: No.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

two 1/4" eye bolts (forged, fully closed eye, not home depot) should support a load of 1000 pounds.

for non-forged (wire, i.e. not fully closed) eye bolts, the limit is 50# per each 1/4"

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

As Leon says, the screw should have full thread depth in the wood; we don't know what size the screw is nor pilot hole was drilled so can't comment on what might be the actual installed strength of the connection.

"Safe" depends on what the maximum working load is going to be as well from a purely practical standpoint without consideration of any code-like rules...

Reply to
dpb

And let's not even speak to the load capacity of the cord, the canvas (?) seating, the weight of the occupant, the. . .

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Person I used to know made slings for people who engage in "alternative lifestyles". His general rule was that if it wouldn't hold a Hemi, it wasn't strong enough (yes, he had a large Chrysler engine that he used as a test article).

Reply to
J. Clarke

I agree. Don't drill a hole to weaken the one joist you are using to support the load. Spread the load over two or more joists.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Some people weigh more than a typical V* engine.

Reply to
Leon

Static vs active load.

Reply to
Markem

Anybody who weights more than 700 pounds probably won't be playing in a sling.

Reply to
J. Clarke

But 200 lbs in action exerts more force on that hook than a hanging

700lb hemi!!!!
Reply to
Clare Snyder

Which is why he bounces it.