Older General Jointer?

I have a chance to buy an older General 6 inch jointer for $550. Assuming the tables are flat and parallel and that the shaft bearings are OK, is there anything else I should be looking at? The fence is similar to a design Delta in the past. One clamp is used to secure the fence side widthwise as well as anglewise. Does this work well? Thanks to responders. Dave

Reply to
Dave W

Works well enough to have been the standard for years. Have one on the old Delta at School, and on my 4" Rockwell. If they could afford the cure time on the big castings and you'd pay the milling cost, it might still be the standard.

Reply to
George

I would not hesitate to buy the machine if all the mechanicals are in proper order and the tables are flat and coplanar.

Now, having said that, I'd rather have a rack and pinion fence because they are easier to deal with (set up).

Now, having said that, I cannot for the life of me remember when (if ever) I set my jointer fence for anything but a square edge which any fence will do if the parts are milled right. What I'm pretty much saying is, tune it, tighten it down and use it.

Uh-huh, ta-ta for now.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100