Old Crapsman TS Questions

Today I bot an old sears 10" TS for $35. Model 113.29992. It's in good shape except the fence slide gear rack is bent. I checked the Sears parts page and the gear rack is no longer available. Unless I can find a TS junk yard, I'll have to outfit it with an aftermarket fence, but I don't want to put a $300 fence on a $35 TS. Any recommendations for a good, relatively inexpensive fence? The extension table came with it but was not attached. Is there a rule of thumb for which side of the blade I should attach the extension table? It's a left hand tilt if that makes any difference. Last question: Where can I get a manual?

TIA

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Reply to
SteveC1280

As a user of a old Craftsman 10" saw, my standing recommendation is for the Sears Align-A-Rip fence system. It's $150 or so and in my opinion is every bit as accurate and reliable as the Biesmeyers and Jet systems I've either seen or used. Your other option might be to find a local machine shop that will cut you the rack. I would imagine that could be done pretty cheap - certainly worth looking into.

As for the extension table - my own rule of thumb is to put the extension on your dominant side. If you're right handed and if you work like me, then you'll want your long measurements to your right which means the extension wants to be on your right so that you can run your fence out for the long cuts. Just my opinion.

The Sears web site used to have some manuals and there is also this place...

didn't see your saw model there, but look at what they have because many of those old saws were very similar and you stand a good chance of finding everything you need in one of the other manuals.

Of course, if you decide that all of this is not worth your while and you want to get rid of that saw...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanx for the info Mike. I was looking at that Sears fence last night. Your recommendation may convince me to buy it. I have a second old Craftsman TS that is my main saw. The 'new' one is going to be used in the vacation home I am building. I'll move the fence from my main saw to the 'new' one and put the new fence on the other one. I've been looking for an excuse to get a better fence, now I have one.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Reply to
SteveC1280

You're welcome Steve. You'll love that Align-A-Rip. Build your own table extensions, install a router base in one of the extensions and fab a couple of MDF fence covers for your rip fence and you'll be as happy as a sailor in a whor.... ummmm.... well, you'll be very happy.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I like my Align-A-Rip a lot. Built my own extensions, too. Never been a sailor, though...:)

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore