Off Topic- computer access

Hey All, I finally determined why I could not see recdotwoodworking from home all of the time via Google. (And this also applies to a lot of woodworking websites and Craig's list). On my Norton Internet Security I turned off Intrusion Protection and it allowed me to access all of the affected sites. Once turned on again, these sites are difficult to see. The Int. Prot. disable feature can be set for a finite time or off until i turn it back on. So now I can view the Rec without getting an error message. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

That's good information. Let's hope the people who are experiencing difficulty in accessing this forum can access it to find this solution.

Reply to
A.M. Wood

On that same note, these damn "protections", and automatic updates that change things, are getting increasingly aggravating.

Who'd a thunk the good old days of windows computerdom, when you only had to reboot twenty times a day, would now seem so long ago, and be looked upon so fondly?

So much for the "P" in PC ... your computer now belongs to the software and OS purveyors and they just let you use it when they're not busy doing something in their own interests with it.

Every damn piece of software, from the browser to the OS, now has its own, built-in "update" which merrily updates while basically telling you to go to hell. Microsoft Update alone did the six servers here TWICE this week! You're damned if you don't turn on automatic updates, and damned if you do.

Bad enough if you're connected all the time ... I can only imagine the race to update first if you only log on occasionally.

Reply to
Swingman

Marc

Can Norton, seems to be poor. Look at AVG

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Go to Symantec's web site and get the instructions for eliminating NAV for the version you have. Norton is well known for being hard to uninstall...

Almost any AV product (except McAfee) has a better detection rate than Norton. You also need a firewall, and I use the free version of ZoneAlarm.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

If your ISP has a real news server (NNTP), go get a proper news reader (such as Thunderbird) and use that.

- S

"Swingman" wrote in news:PP2dnRh4j8rTY5bYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The computer's not so bad most the time. USUALLY you don't lose functionality as a result of an upgrade and if you know what you're doing you can remove one or another.

Our Satellite system has to "download program guide" updates twice a week, but it does more than that. They added the TV Guide logo some time ago to their channel guide, and guess when that happpened... Haven't lost reciever functionality yet, but that's because it's just the minimum needed to work easily.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Jim" wrote in news:zZVOg.1146$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

I've got a universal NAV install program. It came with my computer, and is called "format." It removes NAV, every Symantec product on the system, and then some. It leaves your computer in a very safe state, and solves problems of viruses and spyware.

(For those who don't know, format erases the data on the drive.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Just got my parents up on satellite "broadband" last week (Huhgesnet) and was real disappointed in the speed, not much better than dialup. We put a LinkSys broadband wireless router in the system and I think the installation guy may have configured it wrong (he didn't use the LinkSys software and has the connection bridged), but I didn't have time to troubleshoot it before I had to leave, except to note how slow it seemed.

I was sure expecting better performance for the price, but the folks seem fine with it so far.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Richard Clements

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 06:43:44 -0600, Swingman wrote (in article ):

Satellite suffers from the geosynchronous latency of several seconds. Usually not a big thing but try running an ssh session to see what frustration really is!

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Hey Guys, Other than that minor glitch with Intruder Prevention I am very pleased with my Norton Anti Virus program. It appears to work well for the browsing I do. I'm sure there are better protection programs out ther but this performs well and now that I've discovered its limitation for woodworking sites (why it bogs down there I'll never know) I can disable it when the need arrives. But thanks just the same for your suggestions. On a different thread, too bad Keith Carlson did not get that Unisaw for $100.

Marc

Richard Clements wrote:

Reply to
marc rosen

Mark,

I'd like to add this one:

use

with any newsreader.. This is for reading the "wreck" only..

If you want to post, use Google Groups or find an isp with a news server service. (Getting smaller and smaller ever day.)

Jeremy

Reply to
supercommodore

Better yet, for me anyway, is

can sign up for 25 GB for $10, 90 GB for $25 or 280 GB for $100 and there is no expiration and no set amount of usage and no usage charged for viewing headers - only what you down & up load. I bought the $10 package as a backup 6 months ago and am not down but 20 MB so far.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

It's actually about 500 milliseconds for a single packet going one way. But with the TCP connections, and the handshakes, it takes about

2 seconds for a new connection to complete and the file download to ramp up to full speed.

I have not tried ssh over a sat link. Yeah - I bet it sucks royally. Some browsers can be tuned to allow more simultaneous connections. That might help.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett