oak painted black > how to refinish

Is it possible to refinish an oak entertainment center painted with some sort of black paint. The gain of the oak is visible, it could have been a stain.

Someone is selling for cheap but don't know if it's worth it.

Thanks.

Reply to
Ray

I'm not sure what your definition of refinishing is but, yes, if it is solid oak I can't think of a reason why it couldn't be refinished. From the question I'd have to assume you can but I can't see what it would be.

Reply to
Mike G

Leave it alone. I recently refinished the stairs in my house. They had been stained a very dark brown(thank you 70's). I found that the oak held the dark color deep in the grain lines. To remove the color totally I had to sand the hell out of the treads as well as bleach them. The result was still poor. If it was a solid piece and it would look good in paint I might consider it.

Reply to
larry

I intentionally painted some oak gloss black with simple "Krylon-esque" spray paint. "Grain" is visible. Think it would be a bugger to remove. Suspect I'd have to take a 1/16" - 1/8" or more of wood off to get it all out.

Reply to
mttt

Are all sides painted?

Pete

- Retail & Wholesale (PH/FX 618-288-4588) __________________________________________________________________ A-Zoom snap-caps, Bore-Stores cases, Kleen-Bore gun care products Pachmayr grips & pads, Targets, HKS speedloaders, FREE classifieds

Reply to
The Pistoleer