O.T. (totally, but don't know who else to ask!)

I'm trying to find information and pictures of the 4-Allison-engined Dragster from the '60s; I've DAGS loads of times but all I can find is Tommy Ivo, and it's not him. Can anyone suggest where I might successfully search,please?

Reply to
Limey Lurker

If Google doesn't help then I'd suggest posting in alt.fan.cecil-adams. Even if no-one there can help, the ensuing discussion might be interesting. :-)

Reply to
darkon

I don't recall a dragster, but there was Mickey Thompson's four engine land speed record car. He used Pontiac engines with blowers

Arfon's Green Monster had an Allison engine
cannot imagine a dragster with four Allisons given the size of the engines.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Tue, Sep 27, 2005, 1:55pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net (Limey=A0Lurker) mumbled: I'm trying to find information and pictures of the 4-Allison-engined Dragster from the '60s; I've DAGS loads of times but all I can find is Tommy Ivo, and it's not him. Can anyone suggest where I might successfully search,please?

google Quad Al Jim Lytle

Anyway, Tommy Ivo used four Buick engines.

JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Fred

Reply to
J T

Wow, I did a bunch of searching and all I found is references to various drivers, the builders and owners of the Ivo machine. Are you sure it was a drag car and not one of the Land Speed Record cars?

Allen

Reply to
Allen Epps

Don't forget Goldenrod.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Thanks, JT, that's the one! (When all else fails, ask on the Wreck!) But, Buick-shmuick, Tommy Ivo's only had 32 cylinders; this one had 96, and 2 plugs per cylinder!

Reply to
Limey Lurker

Usenet has a large heirarchy under rec.autos...

Reply to
fredfighter

Allen Epps wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.dca.giganews.com:

No, it was a dragster (at least, that was the idea - it was actually a colossal failure, being far too heavy and vastly underpowered, it could barely get out of it's own way). It today's terminology it would be called a funny car, since it featured a VW Beetle "body" on a purpose-built chassis.

Consider that the car weighed about 7000 lbs (4 allisons alone weigh 5600 lbs, and the chassis on the thing would have been more suitable for a tractor), propelled by a measly 5200 hp, and you can see the problem (a modern top-fuel dragster weighs around

2000lbs, and gets about 6500 hp from it's engine).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

HUH? 4 times 12 was 48 when I went to school.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Wed, Sep 28, 2005, 7:23pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com (John=A0McCoy) who does say: it featured a VW Beetle "body" on a purpose-built chassis.

Looks like a Fiat Topolino (sp?) to me. Which is what all references say too.

JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Fred

Reply to
J T

Wed, Sep 28, 2005, 4:16pm snipped-for-privacy@madbbs.com (Norman=A0D.=A0Crow) is puzzled: HUH? 4 times 12 was 48 when I went to school.

He used new math.

JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Fred

Reply to
J T

"J T" wrote

Wed, Sep 28, 2005, 4:16pm snipped-for-privacy@madbbs.com (Norman D. Crow) is puzzled: HUH? 4 times 12 was 48 when I went to school.

He used new math.

Which gives different results, depending on how fresh the batteries are.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

He probably meant valves.

Reply to
LRod

Actually, I believe it was 96 spark plugs and 192 valves. If you see one in a pulling tractor, there are 12 straight exhaust stacks on each bank, indicating 2 exhaust valves per cylinder, and more than likely 2 intakes per cylinder as well.

one without stacks, but you can count 6 "paired" exhaust ports down the side.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Well, you're right. I didn't realize that was a DOHC, four-valves-per-cylinder powerplant.

Here's a really thorough treatise:

I love the internet.

Reply to
LRod

--

Well, I thought they were V24s, like the one George Barris fitted to his trike. I do remember the magazine article pointed out the 94 visible exhaust pipes; 2 were invisible bacause they were routed under the body.

Reply to
Limey Lurker