Don't ask how but..

I need to clean printer ink, the stuff we used to have on ribbons in the dot matrix days, off of plastic surfaces like melamine and polystyrene edging. anyone got any ideas that won't melt the plastic?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Isopropyl alcohol? Surgical spirit?

Reply to
Huge

Angle Grinder ??

Reply to
David

You won't melt melamine easily, if at all. On that, I'd use acetone, lacquer thinner, carburetor cleaner, nail polish remover, (yes, also WD-40), whatever was closest to hand.

Polystyrene will react to most of those by turning into a stick glob. White spirit would be the first thing I'd test in an inconspicuous place...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Before whiteout, we used to use a very hard eraser to correct typewriter errors. I suspect that would work even better on plastic than it did on paper.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

isopropyl alcohol is generally safe I find.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I assume you both mean "dissolve", rather than "melt".

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes, but "melt" is what Brian had written. And in the case of polystyrene, it describes it rather well -- styrofoam in acetone, for instance.

Another method I'd try might be melamine foam, aka "magic eraser", which is entirely mechanical.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer
[OP wants to remove printer ink]

I've cleaned printer-ribbon ink off the casing of my dot-matrix printer with a drop of Fairy Liquid on the rough side of a washing sponge and gentle oscilation.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Label remover from RS, Servisol, or Electrolube etc.

Derek G

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Dot matrix ribbons like we used to have?

I'll have you know my Epson LQ 570+ is still going strong!

(And I clean any smudged printing ink off the case and the rollers using methylated spirit on a pad of cotton rag.)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

As in 'how do you titillate an ocelot?'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Xylene is best, or isopropanol, although less effective.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Actually a friend has offered to use an angle grinder already claiming the furniture is kind of out of date. I pointed out that its a period piece to me and hence worth saving.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff