Totally O.T. Retiring to Spain

We are planning to retire to the Fuengirola area in about 4 years.

I seem to recall seeing the odd post here from ex-pats living in Spain.

Does anyone know of any newsgroups or forums I could watch to pick up tips for general living etc.

We would plan on long term renting rather than buying even though it would deprive me of playing with Spanish plumbing and electrics!

TIA for any ideas.

Reply to
Invisible Man

has the highest chance of getting a sensible answer to a sensible question. There are lots of FAQs and the tolerance of newbies is quite high. Conventional wisdom is to rent for a period to confirm whether you like a location, since holidaying is much different from living somewhere, especially over the winter.

Selling a house in Spain can take years - literally, years. So it's worth being _very_ sure thatthe place you choose is right or you'll be stuck with it for a long time. There's little chance of being able to think: if we don't like it there, we can always move.

Reply to
pete

One thing that occurs to me, is that flights to get back home for weddings/funerals/sick relatives etc are currently pretty cheap.

I have the feeling that the greenies will eventually get their way and flights will be heavily taxed on 'environmental grounds' & become much more expensive.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If you do ever consider buying a property make sure you are fully aware of the "land grab" laws. They have bankrupted a number of Brits out there when the state steals your land and makes the home owner pay large fees towards having services and other work done associated with the properties they build on your former land!

Reply to
David in Normandy

We would plan on long term renting rather than buying even though it would

Reply to
tim....

Thanks David. One of the reasons we will not be buying. I am happy considerably improving my Spanish and living in a mixed area but have no wish to spend forever learning Spanish property and inheritance law.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Thanks Tim. Just what we were looking for. Couldn't find any NGs. Have worked in the finance industry for many years, been to Spain many times and intend moving cautiously with our eyes open.

Reply to
Invisible Man

As others have already pointed out but I must ask if you plan to keep a "bolt-hole" back in the UK, even if you rent it out via a commercial landlord, life can get difficult in Spain for ex-pats especially if there isn't immediate family support, for example whilst the Spanish health system is good the (after-)care system is quite different and could leave an elderly couple or worse a widow(er) in dire-straights - AIUI in some areas there has been some quite active ex-pat support groups formed to support such people, others have literally had to just lock their front doors behind them, buy a one-way air ticket back to the UK, sometimes without much more than what they could fit in the suitcase...

Must say though, the area you seem set on would not be my first, second or third choice, each to their own though, at least there shouldn't be a lack of fellow ex-pats in the area! :~)

Reply to
Jerry

Thanks. We will keep a bolt hole in the UK for a year or 2 and then consider whether to keep it on or invest the money.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Also a goodly supply of thieves, gypsies, property touts and pickpockets, especially around the bus terminus and the market.

John

Reply to
JTM

Lots of folk, particularly pensioners, seem to have left to return in the last few years. Living isn't as cheap as it was 5 yrs ago

Reply to
JTM

Yeah but, further up the thread the OP says he's worked in the finance industry for years so he won't be bothered about that :-)

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Never got paid a lot for slogging my guts out. Not one of the fat cats! Only stayed for the pension for the last 5+ years. Did however end up with a 36/60ths non discounted final salary pension and my wife is still building her local government pension so we won't starve!

Been to Fuengirola 3 times with not a lot of grief. Certainly not as bad as the Canaries for vagrants, touts etc.

We will be going out for 3 months and then probably a year before committing. We aren't one of the let's run a bar brigade.

Reply to
Invisible Man