O/T: Think Test

I got 21 too, even got 2 of the three that have a decided US slant, so being a canuck isn't too bad, missed the matches question, I was assuming a metric pack. ;-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

And the question about fan rotation depends on whether the fan is blowing towards or away from you. The number of lug nuts depends on the kind of vehicle. Etc.

This is the kind of test where knowing too much gets you in trouble.

The real question is why was this test done is such a small font? Any why bother with Flash when standard HTML+Java would work as well and be more browser independent.

Reply to
Robert Haar

I got 21... and I think I can be excused for not knowing how many matches are in a standard pack, because I don't smoke and never have.

Reply to
Doug Miller

And merry-go-rounds turn counter clockwise in the US and clockwise in Europe. OB woodworking content: the right sides of US merry-go-round horses are more elaborately carved than the left, and the opposite is true in Europe. Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery

I've seen both in the US. One could probably conclude they were imported or designed in Europe.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Larry Blanchard wrote in news:FIadnbYwOqf5iXbXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@pghconnect.com:

I recently reinstalled Windows. It seems I installed the flashblock application but never installed flash itself. There's no point until I really want to watch a video on YouTube, they keep on requiring the latest version anyway.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

20
Reply to
Robatoy

Well, there is one where their answer is simply wrong -- which way water goes down a drain -- plus a couple where there is more than one correct answer -- which way fans rotate, and which way a merry-go-round turns -- because it depends on the particular device. You can find fans that turn in either direction; heck, I have some that have a reversing switch on them. (Not to mention the 'minor' issue of which way is 'facing' an exhaust fan. :) And I know of one amusement park (now defunct) that had counter-rotating merry-go-rounds, _side-by-side_.

I got the book-of-matches question wrong. I can't think of when the last time I saw, let alone _used_, a match-book -- have always had box matches around instead.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I never even thought of the fact that they would have one match per cigarette in a pack.

Reply to
-MIKE-

D'oh! says me. That connection hadn't occurred to me either. Of course, practically _nobody_ in my family smoked. One grandfather and an uncle were pipe men, that's _it_. I spent most of my working life in computer rooms, no exposure to smokers =there= either.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Wouldn't gopher matches need at least two per cigarette?

Reply to
basilisk

Actually, we can probably file that under 'urban legends'. I live Down Under and the water goes down the drain clockwise in my bathroom sink more often than not. Some Physicists, I remember reading, down here have done experiments (pitching for the ignoble awards, maybe?) and found that misc. erroneous & random factors have a much stronger influence on water in a sink than the coriolis effect.

f.w.i.w. -P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

A real simple experiment can test this, but apparently they don't teach teachers about the Scientific Method any more.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 03:54:49 -0400, the infamous Greg G. scrawled the following:

Hey, that sick puppy looks familiar. You that same womanizin' stud muffin from Down Under who used to haunt these halls?

Reply to
Larry Jaques