O/T: Protection

SFWIW, passing along as requested

Lew

----------------------------------------------- Wasp Spray

A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection.

She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and they could overpower you.

The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote.

She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would.

She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection.

Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self-defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School.

For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray.

The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "Spray the culprit in the eyes".

It's a tip he's given to students for decades.

It's also one he wants everyone to hear.

If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray.

"That's going to give you a chance to call the police, maybe get out."

Maybe even save a life.

Might want to share this with all the people in your life.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Good idea, but unlike the wasps the recipient may still be on its feed and angry. Best have a plan on what to do next. At home it would be grab the shotgun.

Reply to
LDosser

No doubt! In fact, probably works faster/better on ppl than on real wasps.

nb

Reply to
notbob

The resulting lawsuit will hurt you a lot more than you hurt the attacker.

Reply to
salty

That's why you need the proper application of a shotgun too. Living in a state that has accepted the Castle Doctrine helps.

Reply to
keithw86

The castle doctrine doesn't protect you from lawsuits, or from violation of federal law. Spraying someone with bug spray is a violation of federal law, and is also illegal in many localities.

Reply to
salty

Then they can relase the perp and tell him to try again. My second line of defense is loaded with 6 rounds and will probably do more harm to the perp than any insect spray...

John

Reply to
news

DAGS on "wasp spray for protection" (without the quotes), and you'll find numerous articles which state just that, and information that indicates that pepper spray is actually more effective and longer lasting. So while wasp spray sounds good, it's really not a good idea.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Many people don't realize that "Castle Doctrine" isn't always a license to do whatever you please with impunity. In fact, it actually imposes some restrictions that wouldn't be there without it. It also varies from place to place. The Castle Doctrine in two different states may be very different. In most states, it does not allow for more than "reasonable force" to be used. If you could stop somebody by shooting them in the leg, you might find yourself in deep trouble of you decide it's more fun to shoot them in the head.

Reply to
salty

Pepper spray in a small space (typical room) may be just as bad for the sprayer as the sprayee. The stuff does create a certain amount of mist which can cover a larger area than you may want.

Used outdoors and within a couple of feet of the target individual, pepper spray can be very effective.

If I'm close enough to use pepper spray (directly in an intruder's face), I may opt for the D-cell MagLight instead - at least swinging the MagLight doesn't irritate my eyes...

Maybe a Rottweiler as a guard dog instead of personally applied deterrents?

John

Reply to
news

Uh, is it lawful to spray someone with pepper spray?

As for spraying someone with bug spray being a violation of Federal law, I'd like to see an example of someone being successfully prosecuted under Federal law for dousing an assailant with bug spray.

In point of fact anything you do may result in a lawsuit, including the use of pepper spray.

Just remember, "It is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6".

Reply to
J. Clarke

I don't think that you'll find that any statute anywhere in the US requires you to shoot someone in the leg rather than the head. If you shoot at all it's lethal force and when you put the police marksmanship instructor on the stand he'll tell the court after you gave the guy two in the chest and one in the head that you did exactly what police officers are trained to do.

Reply to
J. Clarke

[snip]

Wasp spray? Why not hair spray? Why not have the church receptionist pull out her Bible and invite the gremlin to pray with her?

If she's vulnerable, she should keep a GUN in her desk and SHOOT anybody who walks in that smells funny.

Wasp spray, whistles, stun guns, and other claptrap merely irritate a person who's irrational, doped-up, or a terrorist anyway. Best to just blow their furry butts to Kingdom Come and be done with it.

Remember the squint who walked in to a Colorado Springs mega-church last year bent on killing as many people as possible. A nice little lady greeter pulled out her heater and canceled the scrot's ticket before he could do any more harm (he had already killed a couple of people at another religious property). She got a medal instead of a wreath.

Police? Remember the gun-nut's mantra: "When seconds count, the police are just minutes away!"

Reply to
HeyBub

My housekeeping is such that I fully expect that the first notice I'm going to have of an intruder is the crash as he trips over something and then "SNICK SNACK" from the 12 gage will take the rest of the fight out of him.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Here's a nice little snick-snacker:

Doug Winterburn

The reasoning behind the wasp spray is that it has a longer range. Don't need to get as close. The pepper spry is likely more effective ( ever rubbed your eye without thinking while slicing jalapinos. If you havnt, don't GHIKT) but has an effective range of about three feet. The wasp spray is good for ten.

Reply to
CW

Maybe some places but in Washington, if it was self defense, you can't be sued.

Reply to
CW

Do you just make this up as you go?

Reply to
CW

If you are talking about the stupid or the mentally defective, you are quite correct.

Reply to
CW