O/T: Protection

Most wasp spray is based on a pyrethroid of one kind or another. In general pyrethroids have very low toxicity to humans--some are approved for treating clothing to provide insect protection. The real knockdown power isn't in the insecticide anyway, it's the mineral spirits--squirt a wasp with WD-40 and it drops just as fast and doesn't usually get back up.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"J. Clarke" wrote

AHA!!!

A wood dorker has discovered the next, new self defense spray.

WD-40!!

Available at any hardware or big box store!

And you will never get busted for carrying a concealed weapon!

(Where is Billy Mays when you need him?)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Cheap hair spray works pretty well on wasps too, but for a different reason (glues their wings together). It doesn't shoot 20' though.

Reply to
krw

Johnny Carson is dead.

Inflammatory rhetoric? I offered a hint about BUG SPRAY. Nothing inflammatory about it, unless you want to light up the chemicals. You're the one who tried to veer the conversation toward guns and duty and rights and freedom of speech (the last three items about which you evidently know little).

Now if you are in the same "camp" as I, and you are embarrassed, I suggest you own the problem, not me.

Jeeze! YOU'RE the one who brought up "freedom of speech." Now you're saying a topic you initiated is irrelevant!

Since you're so keen on offering unsolicited advice, let's see if you can take some. Don't torment the alligators.

Reply to
HeyBub

No. Our courts have held that "Titles" are not law, only the text of the statute counts.

But, arguendo, assuming "affirmative defense" was part of the law, no plaintiff attorney would take the case, knowing he would lose simply by the filing of a motion to dismiss.

But, you're right. Anybody can be sued for almost anything, assuming the plaintiff meets several thresholds (venue, standing, dollar amount of damages, etc.).

Reply to
HeyBub

Say it ain't so! Which wave?

Reply to
LDosser

And Oregon should ...

Reply to
LDosser

Believe what you want to. An affirmative defense requires a trial.

Why would he lose by the filing of a motion to dismiss? A motion to dismiss does not convince the court that the use of deadly force was justified under Chapter 9 of the Penal Code. That's what trials are for.

And they can lose.

Reply to
J. Clarke

So you're going to shoot them between the eyes with .44 caliber BUG SPRAY ?

Many who make fools of themselves think that the foolishness is on the part of those who are laughing at them. When the government decides to repeal the First Amendment I _will_ be saying "I told you so".

No, its applicability to government, not newsgroups, is irrelevant.

When an alligator shows up I'll bear that in mind.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You're the one who brought up guns. I don't think I can be fairly criticized for expanding the topic you initiated. If you don't want to be subject to contrarian views, don't create molehills.

So now it's humor, not embarrassment? You have the attention span of kitten in a box of packing peanuts. You keep switching emphasis trying, without hope, to find a topic on which your logic can prevail. Give it up.

Pay attention, slick, the concept of "Freedom of Speech" applies ONLY to the government. Should you want to express the view that one is unrestrained to post personal views somewhere, use that phrase, not one owned by the Constitution.

And I will continue to deny your allegations and damn the alligator.

Reply to
HeyBub

You're right. A No Bill means the Grand Jury did not find "Probable Cause."

The standard of finding in a civil case is "Preponderance of the Evidence." Preponderance of the evidence (i.e., 51%) ranks below probable cause (but not much). It's possible the evidence in a civil case could reach 51%, but not reach the probable cause threshold.

It's a pretty small target to shoot at, though.

Reply to
HeyBub

You clearly are incapable of following a conversation and when it is suggested to you that your style of argument does more harm than good you simply go on the attack. I find reviewing your posting history that you have made one post in the past six months that actually has anything to do with woodworking. That being the case I'm not wasting any more time on your bombastic drivel, slick.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Depends where you're buying. Supermarket grade insecticides are pyrethrin or permethrin, regardless of target species. Great, because they're near idiot proof and hence less likely to draw a lawsuit. Wide spectrum, they kill everything on six legs, just not any particular species very well (maybe beneficial hymenoptera), with the synthetic permethrins marginally more effective.

What was in the wasp spray 30 years ago? Worked damned near as quick as nuking them.

Chemcal potentiators are almost always included. Straight pyrethrins are more like a temporary anaesthetic. Potentiators are the coup de gras.

Reply to
Father Haskell

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:19:20 -0800, the infamous "LDosser" scrawled the following:

Nope, not on a wave.

I gave up surfing at the ripe old age of 13, when I took up skimboarding. Longest nonstop run was ~1.5 miles, the length of the South Carlsbad State Beach Campgrounds (Palomar Airport Road to Avenida Encinas.) The beach had a lip on it so 1/4-1/2" of water stayed on top while the rest of the wave receded. I'd skim 100', kick it out, run to catch up, and continue on 'til the next inlet stopped me. I was in great physical shape back then. Indestructible.

I gave up surfing because of a feeling of dread which came over me while I was out at Swami's (the beach below the Self Realization Fellowship). Death was stalking me and I took the next wave in on my stomach, non-stop. IIRC, headlines said that a great white shark was spotted in the area within the next day or two. (I've always trusted my intuition.) They're rarely spotted in LoCal, but every decade or so, they munch someone there.

-- REMEMBER: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

True, I've not made many (if any) posts on woodworking. I follow the conversations here and learn from my betters on the subject. Still, when some ELSE posts something that is absurd, wrong, or just plain insane, I'm not about to let it stand unchallenged. I'm sure your research recognized that.

Now the original topic started off with methods for protection. Someone suggested bug spray. I agreed. Then, in succession, you brought up guns, embarrassment, humor, freedom of speech, and the inability to follow a train of thought. Then, either in a fit of pique or an example of ADD, you interject that I'm an idiot in a completely unrelated thread.

After knocking on several doors and unable to gain entry to the halls of knowledge, you give up an retire. Sorry to see you go; it's been fun.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yeah, but was it the 1972-1976 wave, or the mid 1980s that brought you here?

Reply to
LDosser

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 18:32:02 -0800, the infamous "LDosser" scrawled the following:

We rode a Delta Turboprop somethingorother from LR to Dallas/Love Field in 1966, then from there to Lindberg in Sandy Eggo on a jet, then moved into a rental in Vista, CA.

I drove myself up here in 2002, the year after Dad died. As a person of the truly hermitical type, I wasn't one of those in the waves.

I'm at home up here in Oryguns, as 90% of the population (at least in So Or) consists of expat Californicators like myself. We're all a lot nicer up here after the decompression from sardine living in the Sun Belt, er, Western Banana Belt. Luckily, that little taste of home, the Hass avocado, is imported to this state at fairly low cost.

Are you a native or an import like me? I think I've met 3 natives so far, after 7 whole years (8 on Feb 14, 2010.)

-- REMEMBER: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I imported myself in 1970. My son and his wife are natives.

Reply to
LDosser