O/T: It's Still April

Yes, it's still April, but it hit 100F in downtown L/A today.

Man, does it feel great; however, the day of reckoning is on the horizon.

Enjoy it while you can.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That's nothing: on Mar 29, 1879, a few weeks earlier in the year, it hit

99 in LA; On Apr 23, 1910 it was 100 in LA; On April 13, 1898, it was 99 in LA; Twenty years ago (1989) there were a couple of days in April that were 105+. On Dec 8, 1938 it hit 92, and on that same day in 1978 it was 30.

Apparently it occasionally does get hot, and cold, in April, in LA, go figure...

.. .e-woodshop.net Last update: 10/22/08 KarlC@ (the obvious)

Reply to
Swingman

100F set the record for today.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

And in Houston we had yet another front blow in yesterday and this morning and cool us down to the low 50's. I distinctly recall one of our local weather persons indicate that we would be getting out last cold front in .....um mid February. We are working on our 8th straight month of nonhot mild temperatures.

Reply to
Leon

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:AmaHl.1900$b11.822 @nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

We had a beautiful day Saturday, and two days of rain afterwards. It went from a warm 70F to a cool 54F.

The first game of the softball season was rained out.

You're right, Lew. Enjoy it while you can.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Same in SoCal, it has been a colder than normal 2009.

Understand you folks in Houston had a few rain drops over the week end.

Got your dinghy tied up in the back yard or is it floating free?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Actually at my house we got about 4.875" My sister lives in a very small town about 70 miles west, north west from here and got 16" over the weekend. They live on 3 acres and have a pond in the front yard, the house was completely surronded by water up to the foundation and about 4" deep. Had Houston gotten that kind of rain in that period of time we would have been on the nation news and Swingman would have been the only one in his neighborhood with out water in his house.

No dingy, LOL... I have seen water come up half way into my yard but fortunately our house is higher than all in the neighborhood. When it rains the water runs left and right from our house.

Reply to
Leon

Correction, 3.875"

Reply to
Leon

I'd never considered before this very moment [thinking that jotting a whole number and a fraction on the wall calendar being sufficient] but where can I get a rain gage that measures to three decimals, Leon?

- Dave in [NW] Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

LOL, There is about a 50/50 chance that I will type 3.875" or 3 7/8" inches. If I am in a hurry I wall usually use decimals. I run lots of numbers through my head on a daily basis for kicks, I put numbers to everything. Oh! back to your question. I have no idea where to find an analog rain gauge marked with decimals other than the one that has just one number left of the decimal point. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Pat Barber

What they say in Colorado. Wait 5 minutes and the weather will change. Last Saturday Took a little longer. Wakeup to 3 inches of snow. Gone by noon. Temp went to 70 degrees. Southern Colorado area. WW

Reply to
WW

94f here in Baja and low humidity.. best time of year here..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Lew, it was 99 in LA yesterday, according to Weather.com. A new record. Whaddya mean, cool?

Reply to
scritch

years ago I considered putting together a complete weather station that would then log hourly temp, wind speed & direction, humidity, precip, and barometric pressure onto a computer, giving an hour-by-hour graph of conditions. The computer side of it was simple, at that time (S-100) I knew how to do all the hardware and software to accomplish it. The problem was that the instruments would have cost tens of thousands of dollars. I dropped the plan.

I still think it would be fun to do.

-- Tim Douglass

started out with nothing and after years of hard work have finally managed to double it!

Reply to
Tim Douglass

The TV weather jockeys were reporting 100F down town.

Guess it depends on your point of measurment as well as source.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It is pretty cool, I bought my father a weather station for Christmas a few years ago, It measures wind speed, direction, rain amount, in door and out door temp and humidity, and barometric pressure. The wind speed and direction indicator hard wired into the temp/rain gauge/baro/humidity sensor and from there sent info wirelessly to the main console. The main console has 8 side buttons that perform 403,922,287 different functions. Getting to see all of what you could do required the manual be present at all times. Just a warning, this one was cheap, $200, a little more invested may have gotten a more user friendly model. Something to watch out for.

Reply to
Leon

Here, a quarter mile from beautiful downtown Green Valley Lake, the temperature finally got into the high 60s F. A week ago, it never got out of the 30s. Oh Happy Days!! Most of the snow (about 12 feet) is gone. Just a few shady areas left. yeehaw, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

403,922,287 different functions Wow...with 8 buttons! You'd kinda run out of combinations at 40,320 or so wouldn't you? I suggest we ask nailshooteRobert. He knows about those sort of things.
Reply to
Robatoy

Yea.. I'll bite:

403,922,287 different functions Wow...with 8 buttons! You'd kinda run out of combinations at 40,320 or so wouldn't you? I suggest we ask nailshooteRobert. He knows about those sort of things.
Reply to
charlie