O/T: It'a a Zoo Out There

44 Hell, I'm still in my shorts out in my shop with a space heater.I live south of the snow belt. Can you tap in at the breaker to get temp. power ?? Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

Its about -24F (-31C) outside mine...middle of the Canadian prairies.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

And where would that be?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 04:38:49 +0000, PDQ wrote (in article ):

Waltzing on a motorcycle. One of the least pleasant ways I've ever spent a half hour.. or at least it seemed like half an hour. Probably took less than two seconds but I had time to remember everybody I ever met and could have written each of them a letter..

Speaking of "no hint" a neighbour of mine was riding home early morning in '76, one of the hottest English summers on record. I remember friends had gone to Athens and it was hotter here than there, no rain, deep blue skies, office workers in shorts... He slid off his bike 'cos he hit a big patch of black ice. Dunno where the water came from. but around 4 am the temperature suddenly dropped (no cloud cover) and after weeks of high-speed tootling around on dry, grippy roads he expressed considerable surprise to suddenly find himself upside down , going sideways. The insurers assumed he was telling whoppas but he had a police report to back him up.

Reply to
Bored Borg

I'm in Mantua,Ohio. I worked outside for the last 15 years cold doesn't bother me to much. Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

Geez, I don't stop riding my motorcycle until there's snow on the road.

Reply to
J. Clarke

We had a pleasant 73 yesterday. Supposed to reach 80 today.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Grew up in Wooster then lived in Cleveland area for many years.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

We visited a friend in Dallas a few years ago and he warned us to be careful driving in there, because the folks there didn't "drive well in the elements" He than said that "Air is an element"

Didn't seem much different from CA drivers, except in CA they usually have their turn signals on when they run you off the road..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:28:50 +0000, J. Clarke wrote (in article ):

so why do you stop then?

It's just too damn tiring to wrestle through snow, don'tya think? Every short trip feels like completing a (complete) Charles Atlas course, and you get in, sit on the couch and it takes half an hour for it to stop squirming from side to side and threatening to fall over. Have to drink strong espresso just 'cos compared with the adrenalin hit, it's quite calming.

We haven't had any real snow here for a while though..

Do I miss it?

well.....

Reply to
Bored Borg

Bored Borg wrote: [snip]

Weeeeeeeeell, in the past 3 days we have accumulated about 4 feet of snow here in the southern Californicate. My neighbors have snow blowers and I am really nice to them during the year. Sure enough one (who has barking dogs) cleared out the snowplow berm and I shoveled the rest.

Today, however, Maggy wanted her car out so I called one of the local contractor guys, Bob, who has serious snow removal equipment. Now Bob lives outside of town at the end of a 3.5 mile dirt road and is snowed in. Luckily he keeps his second front loader up here with good old Zack driving. Happily, the cabins across the street are generally empty so snow storage is less of a problem.

The sun is shining today with a relative humidity of maybe 30%. A day's worth of sun and other folk's tire chains usually clears the ice. Oh and shoveling is good exercise. I guess. creakingly yours, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn
.

I didn't even stop then back when I was young and stupid (stupider?). I still remember getting trapped in frozen street car tracks. The only way out was to stop and lift each wheel out of the groove :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

That's one thing I don't have to worry about around here.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"mac davis" wrote

Yabbut, and in defense of Texans, many, if not most, of the urban dwellers in Texas these days are not from here (including me). :)

Reply to
Swingman

Doesn't Lyle Lovett do a song called "That's Right, I'm Not From Texas"?

Reply to
Robatoy

Nope, it's "That's Right, YOU'RE Not From Texas"! :)

... and, in a similar vein, there's Steve Fromholtz', "Come on Down To Texas .... For A While".

IOW, you're welcome to visit, but please don't stay.

Reply to
Swingman

We got 5.5" of snow Tuesday night into early Wednesday morning, followed by freezing rain. Current forecasts call for anywhere from 6" to 9" (and up to 18" depending on the forecaster) between tomorrow morning and tomorrow afternoon.

I expect this weather to be a minor inconvenience.

Reply to
Nova

studded tires. > They are not made any more except, maybe, in sweden.

You can still have non studded snow tires studded for about $8.50 per tire (WalMart pricing).

Nova

For looking at the manufacturers' web sites it looks like all of the above tires are non studded "snow tires" that can be studded for an additional fee.

Reply to
Nova

is with studded tires.

I see we are still on the studs thing.

OK I will agree that studs are still available and may be put in certain = snow tires for certain applications.

However, there are a lot of area governments that will NOT allow studs = on their highways.

There are even some areas that do -- but those area really do get a lot = of ice and snow.

Texas, Florida, and my area (Ontario) do not.

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ