Barnyard petting zoo

Yesterday Granny Artemis & I were driving around to nurseries when we spotted in a Ford sales lot an ad hoc "petting zoo" so we pulled in there & jumped out of the car. There were lots of young mothers standing around outside the corral watching their kids with the animals, a few teenagers inside the corral, but like only one full grown adult playing with animals. It was SLIGHTLY embarrassing to be an adult eager to play with baby animals, but hey, if those young mothers outside the corral had lost their sense of joy interacting with animals, that's just sad for them.

Granny Artemis & I sat on the floor of the corral & were visited & nibbled on by a Patagonian cavy about three times the size of a regular guinea pig, a baby potbelly pig about the size of a big loaf of bread, a half dozen baby pygmy goats hardly any bigger than large cats, a full-sized nanny goat who was present so that the baby pygmy goats wouldn't get dehydrated for need of milk, a de-horned bottle-raised Zebu (a miniature but very wild type of cow that I've never seen so tame before; they're usually hinky around strangers), an elderly dwarf horse smaller than a great dane who loved to be scratched around his ears & cheeks, plus a yab-yab-yab-yabbering duck, & what else, oh yeah, a bunch of children. It was great.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

OK, I'm jealous!

Priscilla

Reply to
Priscilla Ballou

One of the local garden centers has a selection of farm animals you can visit. The place is a throw-back to earlier days when the area was a series of farms. Now it is surrounded by golf courses and expensive homes. Their prices have risen to extract the maximum cash from the affluent neighbors. I see people buying things at outrageous prices that could be had 10 minutes away for far less. I like to browse and pet the animals, but the place is way too expensive for me.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I sure could use a baby goat about now. I always stop at any baby animals, anywhere. I have baby animal-dar and Mark knows there's no way around it. Personally, I think he loves them, also. Ever see a very tall man remove an ant from the bathtub and carefully place it outside?

If we didn't live in city limits I'd have a few Nubian goats and some pot belly pigs who get to be what, a ton? I wish they wouldn't sell them any more. People do not realize how large they get. Same with Iguana's. They get to be 5-7 feet long.

George Clooney has a pot bellied pig as a pet. I believe he said she was about a thousand pounds and she sleeps in the house. I love him now.

I'm glad you had such an enchanting day. I spent the week in the hospital with a massive infection, resistant to everything, then surgery to relieve the bla, then the other thing, drain, bla. So, now I'm cuddling my little green thing named Mika of 135 gram fame...the girl Hahn's macaw. I missed her and the big tall guy.

V-

escape

The message from escape contains these words:

I spent the week in the hospital with

Sorry to hear that, get well soon

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

I am getting better, still have drains in. I get depressed when this happens at garden timel I have no energy.

escape

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@soggy72.drizzle.com:

it sure is! if you & Granny Artemis ever get out to the east coast, i have a very kissy llama (most of the llamas are typically stand- offish, but Perl likes to kiss) & some goats & chickens that would love to entertain you :) if i ever decide if i want to move or not, i'll know when i'm getting yaks... lee

Reply to
enigma

Thank you. I'm still on TONS of antibiotics. I'm almost a loaf of bread.

escape

The message from escape contains these words:

Please translate for the English-speakers :-)

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

I'm taking mega doses of anti-biotics and that creates an overgrowth of candida, aka yeast, in the intestinal tract and offsets the entire balance of fauna in the digestive system and some other bodily systems as well.

Speaky dee Engleesh?

escape