O/T: It'a a Zoo Out There

It's a zoo, traffic wise, in SoCal this afternoon.

It is 44F outside my window.

Snow level is down to 1,500 ft in the mountains.

Below that, heavy rain.

Highways out of SoCal, across the mountains are either closed or chains are req'd.

Very few people know how to drive in these conditions.

It has been described as being UGLY out there.

Ah yes, weather is relative.

This would be a typical afternoon winter time commute in NE Ohio, and that is one of the reasons I left, but we're are in SoCal and it just plain SUCKS.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It is a great pity when the Lotus Eaters must engage the Furies.

This Global Warming is a bitch.

tom

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

There was a very light drizzle/fog here in Houston this morning and the freeways were stacked up due to a number of wrecks ... must be those Californian transplants, you reckon? :)

Reply to
Swingman

I'm convinced that if you haven't lived in snow (sloppy weather) country, you probably don't know how to drive in it.

Reduced speed, increased assured clear distance, and 2nd gear seem to be concepts from a different world, not prudent driving techniques in bad weather.

BTW, the heavy rains are sure to bring the mud slides in the burn areas of last months fires.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I suppose I could call all you folks wimps.

But......, Here in the Pacific Northwest, we are experienceing our coldest weather in 18 years. And the snow is falling. It will be mass causulties on the roads tomorrow.

Most folks around here don't know how to drive in snowing/icey conditions either.

And this could go on for another week or so. No relief in sight. Now is a good time to hibernate.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

When we lived in Dallas it was the Northerners who "knew how to drive in snow" and were going to show us Texans (and experienced transplants) how to do it right that caused the greatest problems. Yeah, they knew how to drive in snow, on glaze ice? Not so much.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Not to burst your bubble but, the only way to drive assuredly on ice is = with studded tires. They are not made any more except, maybe, in = sweden.

There is, I believe, a new compound for tires that does cling on ice = like regular tires on pavement. I also believe it to be experimental = only.

Other than these I do not believe anyone can drive on ice - especially = at near freezing point. One can only hang on and hope for the best.

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ

Geez, did you even check before you said that? Current brands, in stock for immediate delivery include Firestone Winterforce, General Altimax Arctic, Goodyear Ultra Grip, and Pirelli Winter Carving, and that's just from one source.

Bridgestone Blizzak, Continental Winter Contact, Dunlop SP Winter, Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip, Michelin Alpin, and Pirelli Winter Snowsport are just a few brands. Work well enough but not as good as studs.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"PDQ" wrote in news:gicdh2$gro$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

A quick Internet search reveals studded tires are still available, but there's several restrictions on using them. If I lived out in the country on a gravel road, I'd be considering them. (Or if I lived in Indiana and had interstate traveling to do. InDOT seems to be on a low salt diet.)

It's very much possible to drive on ice, but don't think you'll be able to drive on ice like dry pavement. After all, I doubt they stud the tires on the promotional car during a hockey game intermission.

An ice storm's supposed to come through tomorrow, leaving maybe 1/4-1/2" of ice behind. If it's thick enough, I'm going skating!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

My parents were both Hoosiers.

Back in the 50's my dad commented about how cheap the state of Indiana was when it came to roads.

Sounds like they still are.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Puckdropper, you live in Peoria, if I remember right? I have a son in college in Decatur -- I'm really, really glad he took my advice and came home for Christmas *today* instead of waiting until tomorrow like he was planning to do. He's almost 21 now, about at the age where Dad starts getting smart again.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! That is exactly what I was trying to say in a more subtle way. People acclimated to Dallas, either as natives or by previous experience realized that the answer to transportation on those occasional (once or twice a year on average) icy days was to transport oneself to the living room couch, fire up the fireplace, turn on the TV to watch the traffic entertainment, and wait for afternoon to come and melt the ice before we ventured out. The recent transplants were bound to show the rest of us that they knew how to drive in this kind of weather (the general weather pattern was a bit of snow on top of glaze ice) -- thus the reason for turning on the TV to get our education in winter driving by those soon-to-be experienced northern drivers who would be doing the same thing as the rest of us during the next year's ice/snowstorm.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

However, studded tires are (or at least have been) illegal in Texas. Tears up the roads.

... snip

See my response

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Firestone Winterforce - Snow (maybe ice with studs) General Altimax Arctic - Snow (General says ice but ??) Goodyear Ultra Grip - Snow (Goodyear says advanced stud pattern for ice) Pirelli Winter Carving - Snow (Pirelli says "studable)

Bridgestone Blizzak - Snow (There are zig-zag tire sipes on "Revo" to = assist with ice grip) Continental Winter Contact - Snow (4X4 and SUV application) Dunlop SP Winter - Snow (only one to push ice without studs) Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip - Maybe (Not as good on ice as Goodyear Eagle = Ultragrip Ice) Michelin Alpin - Snoew (Michelin very carefully avoids mentioning ice) Pirelli Winter Snowsport - Snow (performance version of Carving)

I still say One can only hang on and hope when one is on wet ice. = Maybe one of these tires/tyres will help but, until one has sat through = a really slow 360 with no hint it was coming and no capability of = stopping it, one really never appreciates how difficult driving on ice = is.

Reply to
PDQ

I know where you are coming from and I agree with you. Had studs in '69 because I was going to the Bonhomme Carnival. Made a = mistake when I hit the 401 and ended up in Florida. They do not like = studs there.=20

We cannot use studs on our Ontario highways - except PQ. and it is this = application to which I was referring. I know they are in use off-road = and would sure appreciate them in winter. Not being able to use studs = is what has kept me out of winter tires - plus we generally don't need = them.

I mentioned Sweden because of the "James Bonder" that showed what studs = on a lake can do. There isn't a Zamboni that could correct that abuse = between periods.

P D Q

news:gicdh2$gro$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

experimental

especially

Reply to
PDQ

I learned my ice driving in an old beater in a gravel pit. No worry = about hitting anyone or doing damage to the vehicle. Just bang it out, = buy the boys a beer, and do some more 360's. and super snakes.

It really helped my winter ability but, nothing beats care and caution = on the slippery stuff. \ P D Q

Reply to
PDQ

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:qYj2l.14512$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi064.nbdc.sbc.com:

That's right. It looks like today was the best day to travel this week. Between freezing rain/snow (never did get that off my driveway), the 2" of snow mix, and the ice storm tomorrow, today might be the only day travel was easy.

In case you guys need it, here's the road conditions for IL interstates.

Puckdropper

Maybe you could work a deal with Aventine over in Pekin for some ethanol to run that stand by generator you are thinking about.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

...my eastern friends call me spoiled, but I'm not...I'm COLD! ;O) (...we *are* a bunch of wussies here, eh, Lew?).

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

Actually, I claim the office of "Chief Candty Ass" as mine.

Anything below 60F is not fit for human habitation IMHO.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett