O/T: Houston, You May Have A Problem

Based on the weather reports, you folks keep your heads down and the rest of you out of harm's way.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thanks Lew, but that little ole rain storm is 4-500 miles away.

Reply to
Leon

I'm just hoping for a good soaking across south Texas. It's too late to water the corn but not too late to water the deer.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

Guess it only has 75MPH winds, just makes it as a "cane".

Expected to come ashore tomorrow morning.

Got your waders handy?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It looks like it's heading for Brownville.

That's 300 miles from Houston and 550 miles from me in Dallas.

I just hope we get some rain frome it.

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Reply to
Rick Samuel

We got some rain starting at around 4:30 this morning in Houston. We need more. Central Texas needs it even more.

Reply to
Scott Zrubek

Ditto here in NW Houston. If we don't get any more here we're OK. San Antonio and south is real, real dry.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Don't worry about it. Right now everything has a roof, so we won't get much rain here in Houston until I have another foundation to pour, house half framed, or excavations to fill with water ... guaranteed!

Reply to
Swingman

What I found astounding, was that one of the news networks already reported 'likely' storm damage at 3.6 billion BEFORE the storm even made landfall. They must be sucking those numbers out of their asses. Oh, wait... it could have come from a source who wasn't authorised to comment.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

Count your blessings ... with a hurricane in the Gulf, the price of oil didn't go up another 50% overnight, maybe.

Reply to
Swingman

We're hoping it keeps up enough steam heading west to eventually swing up the panhandle and give as a chance...

Not that we're hoping ya'll get drowned, but we're more interested in the longer term prospects up thisaway... :)

At least a couple of the longterm models are projecting it just might so hope they're right...

Reply to
dpb

What I found astounding, was that one of the news networks already reported 'likely' storm damage at 3.6 billion BEFORE the storm even made landfall. They must be sucking those numbers out of their asses. Oh, wait... it could have come from a source who wasn't authorised to comment.

This is no longer astounding, it is expected commentary from an uneducated group of reporters. Normally warnings are not issued until a particular event has already happened. Tornado warnings are not issued until evidence is seen that there is actually a tornado. A tornado "watch" is issued if one is likely and until one is spotted. The same used to go for Hurricanes but not on this storm. I don't recall there being a hurricane watch issued however the hurricane warnings were issued 3 days ago, long before there was an actual hurricane.

You just don't get the sensationalism mileage from telling the truth and reporting the "facts".

Reply to
Leon

Crews were being hauled in 2 days ago. The fact that oil prices are still lower than they were in the beginning of June further proves that there is not a supply problem. Oil prices are simply a "What the market will bare" situation versus the commonly misused term "supply and demand".

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

That's because it's not "reporting the facts", it's "distorting" the "facts" ... whether there are any, or not.

Reply to
Swingman

You got that right. We have had 6.72" registered for the whole year. Our normal rainfall about this time is around 19".

But what really tells the tale is the fact that from about this time last year to the end of the year we only got another 1.5" or so.

That means in the last 12 months we have had a little over 8" in twelve months. Conditions around here show it, espeically if you were in the area where it rains in the city compared to where it doesn't.

San Antonio is now over 500 square miles area according to our land grabbing city council (gotta get that tax base, you know) and they only collect and measure the water at the airport on the north side of town.

It's a big city. If you are like me (a hobby gardener) you watch the rain closely. I never saw anything like the 6 or so inches in my side of town they said we had this year. At my house (inner city guy) I had a little over 2" so far this year. That's it.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

MANUFACTURING news. Gotta fill all that time.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

Hate to "rain" on your parade but the latest forecast model I saw puts in moving almost directly west from the Brownsville area and even turning slightly west-southwest.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

The farther west it gets before the steering westerlies take over from the Pacific coast the better our chances become...it's always a long shot, but once in a while...

The DDC 2AM "behind the scenes" discussion didn't mention the scenario this morning, though. :(

--

Reply to
dpb

If actual local weather reports are of any interest, do a Google for "weather bug" and down load it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett