penofin: smell and cure time

Hi all,

I've never posted to this group before. I need an expert opinion on the Penofin oil finish. I rent a cottage with wood siding which my landlord has recently coated with Penofin on all sides (the deep penetrating Brazilian Rosewood version - I read the labels on the cans). It's been almost a week, but the irritating smell inside and outside does not seem to go away (smells like dead fish to me). Just how long does this thing take to cure to the point of no smell? Is considered safe to live in a house coated with Penofin? There seems to be no way to ventilate: when one opens a window the smell from the walls goes right in.

Thank you in advance!

Reply to
runcyclexcski

Have your landlord switch homes with you for a few weeks. That Penofin is good stuff but comes with an afterodor that will take a while to go away. I imagine in high humidity it will take even longer. Good luck. Take a 2 week vacation.

Reply to
ROY!

I use Penofin on my deck and it will take about 2 weeks to cure if the temperature is around 70°F. If I manage to hit the few days we have temps around 90°F it will cure in 2-3 days. Art

Reply to
Artemus

From Penofic dealer search page for Ontario:

Exotic Woods Inc. Burlington, ON Read's Decorating Centre Elmira, ON Trans Canada Wood Products Ltd Innisfil, ON Truax TIM-BR Mart Kingsville, ON Lumberville Milton, ON Cooksville Lumber Co. Mississauga, ON Dixie Paint and Paper Mississauga, ON Monarch Paints North York, ON Creative Decks and Fences Oldcastle, ON McNabb Home Building Center Parry Sound, ON Port Elgin Home Hardware Port Elgin, ON Fairway Lumber Company St. Jacobs, ON Maple Paints & Wallpaper Toronto, ON Reingewirtz Paint Store Ltd. Toronto, ON CDF Lumber Windsor, ON

Reply to
Nova

Anybody know what stores in the Toronto, Canada area sell Penofin? Went to my local borg and they never heard of it.

Reply to
Upscale

Thank you, Roy. Damn Penofin. I can also setup a temporary duct with a fan to suck air from an area ~100 yards from the house to provide ventilation. I also found an alternative place to sleep overnight. Fortunately I am in the Bay Area, so the humidity is about 50%.

Reply to
runcyclexcski

...I also set up a carbon filter in the bedroom, which has eliminated the smell at least where I sleep

Reply to
runcyclexcski