O/T: A Visit From Vido

I checked. You're right. I stand corrected. Airports need only minor landing strip modifications (relocation of lights, etc.) to accommodate the 380.

The plane is still built by the perfidious Frence, though.

Reply to
HeyBub

Runways are only part of the of the requirement.

Concourse, boarding gates, baggage handling, etc require serious upgrades in order to handle the increased passenger load carried by the 380.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:JXcwl.974$SU3.362 @nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

Having had opportunity to travel 747s in economy and gettting to disembark through the rear doors was a revelation. It goes SOOO much faster than when everyone has to go through that 1 small door like with a

737, 757, or other Boeing except the 747.

Wouldn't it be worthwhile having better facilities to board and deplane, and be on time for a change?

Our trip to Disney from Stewart Airport using JetBlue was great! There are only about 7 or 8 gates, parking was $40 for 5 days, and there were no traffic jams at the airport.

Reply to
Han

Looks like you need to keep those memories fresh in your mind.

Was announced this afternoon that 380 flights in and out of the USA are being reduced with replacement servive being provided by smaller planes.

LAX, the largest POE on the west coast will certainly feel the effects of this reduction.

Only Quantas is still flying the 380 in/out of LAX with 5 round trip flights per week to Melbourne.

$10Kish for a coach seat on the Melbourne trip may have something to do with it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Note that he was vilified for failing to be sufficiently supportive of government action and force.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

This only is an issue if the government steps in and tries to "fix" things. Otherwise, the problem is self-limiting.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Just to interject some facts into the outrage here:

1) The bonuses being paid were to people who were being asked to stay on while they dismantled their divisions. In general, when one is told that their job is going away, the number one priority for that person becomes finding a new job -- any performance on the existing job becomes secondary and if another opportunity is found, the person being affected is going to leave for the new opportunity rather than finish anything at the company for which is position is being eliminated. These retention bonuses were designed to keep those people deemed critical to shutting down those operations from jumping somewhere else and finishing their assignment. That was absolutely critical to the AIG mess.

2) The people being paid the bonuses appear NOT to be the people responsible for running the company into the ground -- they were brought in to clean up the mess:

3) None of this would be an issue if the country had applied good old-fashioned capitalism and a) never tried to do the social engineering through Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the CRA with the idea of "affordable housing" and government backed mortgages, and b) had let failing companies fail
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

What I find ammusing is that congress was fully aware last year that those bonuses were going to be paid out before AIG received any bail out money.

Like you would expect, congress has been caught with it's pants down once again hoping that AIG would not have paid out the bonuses. Like you would expect they are now making up laws out of anger to try and save face, and that really scares me. Like you would expect the media leaces out all the particular facts that would make this story less than sensational.

IMHO where AIG screwed once again on top of many many screw ups was calling the money, bonuses.

Reply to
Leon

Congress didn't "screw up" - what you see is intentional. Frank, Dodd, Pelosi, Reid, and even Obama need to stir up the AIG lynch mob to deflect attention from their own gross incompetence and responsibility for this whole mess. This entire exercise is one in which the congress critters are performing an act of misdirection hoping that the sheeple will not notice how criminally negligent their politicians are. It will probably work ...

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Barney, Nancy, Harry, Chris and ALL your other political heroes are strumming the stupidity/ignorance of the electorate like a 12 string guitar ... too bad the sound you hear is the death knell of freedom as we've known it.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
Robatoy

Yup, but it won't be immediate. The younger voters that salivated over the Obamessiah are the ones who are going to absorb most of the pain. In fact, the combination of the natural economic recovery coupled with the phony liquidity being pumped into the system by these idiots may actually cause a huge market bounce in about 2 years. The sheeple will see this as proof that Their Savior has done his job and vigorously reelect him, all the while neglecting the incredible damage this administration and the revolting congress are doing to liberty, monetary policy, productivity, and durable economic stability.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Did uh, you say congress "screwed up"? I did not say congress screwed up.

Reply to
Leon

Whoops, I read too fast ... my mistaeke...

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

I think calling it a bonus was fairly accurate, just slightly misspelled.

It should have been called a "boned-us" award.

Reply to
Nova

One way or another, the company was contractually obligated to make the payments or defend itself in lawsuits in which it would be in breach of contract, with the result that the expense would likely be several times greater.

The right response to Congress IMO would have been "I've looked at this and our lawyers have looked at this and we cannot find any legal grounds for abrogating the contracts under which those payments were made--if you would be kind enough to provide us some enabling legislation it would be very helpful.

And Congress immediately enacting a new tax quite frankly makes the Congress look like vindictive spoiled brats having a tantrum.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Screw the contract, not going to honor it.

So sue me, the gates of hell will have frozen over befrore any money changes hands, except for the legal fees.

The above has happened many times.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Well, tell you what, I never, ever want to do business with any company with which _you_ are involved.

Reply to
J. Clarke