Nut Cracker

Make a fun to use nut cracker from walnut and crack some walnuts.

brian

Can you make a 'nudder video for a pecan cracker?

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Questions and thoughts.

Did you turn your walnut dowel or purchase it ready made?

Have you used it much yet? I wonder how the walnut threads will hold up? Most of the walnut I have worked with tends to be relatively soft. Yeah I realize walnut to crack walnuts. Cherry is relatively soft too but cherries are pretty soft. LOL

Did you apply any lubricant like wax to the threads?

Is it easy enough to turn the dowel to crack the nut and or would a "t" give you more leverage?

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
HeyBub

Thank you.

Purchased from Woodcraft when I got the tap and die kit. When I saw that they sold walnut dowels it was then that I decided to make it from walnut. Was going to be cherry.

I don't own a lathe or I would have made my own. It's own my wife-nag list for things I want.

So far it seems to be ok.

This stuff is on the hard to brittle side of the spectrum.

Not yet, but as soon as I'm done typing I'm going to apply paste wax.

My six and ten year old boys have no problems cracking walnuts with it and think it's fun.

They cracked a bunch of walnuts and don't like to eat them. :)

Reply to
brian

Reply to
G. Ross

Send me one and I film it.

Reply to
brian

sold walnut dowels it was then that I decided to make it from walnut. Was going to be cherry.

for things I want.

Ohhhh. I have had a lather for the pas 30 years and and am almost ashamed to say that I have hardly ever used it other than to make pens. I probably have 15 turning tools. Recently I got a set of 3 Easy Wood Tools which pretty much take care of every thing. I highly recomend them as there is a "zero" learning curve and no sharpening.

think it's fun.

Sounds good enough!

Bonus! Win Win

Reply to