notation for plank

I was thinking of real world examples of when I wrote that, but it was intended facetiously.

I recall a story, I think of Cambridge College in England, of the roof being inspected in a large hall and inspection turning up that the huge oak beams supporting the vault had been badly damaged by insects. The college masters became worried because huge pieces of wood like that are not easily obtained, and something different would be, just that, different.

Turned out, however, their forestry people had been grooming trees to replace those beams for over a century. Because the forestry guys remembered, even if the professors hadn't, that the beams get "all beetley" after a time.

Hipsters will tell you how full of probiotics that stuff is.

Yeah, sounds like a good influence.

Elijah

------ pretty sure the story came from _How Buildings Learn_

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

Well, that was a way of asking what to bring. I'm not afraid of being exposed as anything, and certainly not a carpenter as this photo [1] pretty much sums up all my experience with wood.

But I'm a gear freak so I always think about brining the right stuff, knowing how to operate it, and have it in a clean and functional state, no matter what I do.

And yes, I've worked with many supposedly professional guys who had no care of kit whatsoever and had frustration boiling up all day everyday because either the gear was someplace else, or it was disfunctional from maltreatment...

[1]
Emanuel Berg

Oh, if you want to buy that sort of wood, you specify it by the cord. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Did you see my link to the FAQ's at Woodworker's Source?

Lots of info there to help you understand how to buy boards using board-feet measurements, what S2S means, how to get boards in the sizes you need, etc.

This info is both generic in nature (knowledge for use anywhere) as well as specific to Woodworker's Source, explaining how to order specific boards from them. The same will hold true for almost any source, with minor changes. In any case, you'll be armed with knowledge that will help you understand your options.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Great, thank you :)

Reply to