Not a what-is-it ..

... but what does it _do_ ?

John T.

Reply to
hubops

I have no idea of a particular use. I also don't know why a caliper would need such a long handle.... to reach inside a tight space for the particular measurement?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I have something like that. Its used on a wood lathe to cut to a specific depth:

DJ Delorie

At first I thought "lathe" also, but I couldn't think of a lathe related reason reason for the long handle.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I was thinking reaching up, like to measure a branch or something.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Outside caliper for a blacksmith? It looks like it could have been partially hand made by one.

Reply to
Bill

I wonder what makes the seller so sure that it is a wood measuring caliper?

Reply to
Brian Welch

One never knows - it could just be his best guess, or the auctioneer's guess .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

May not be that it measures wood, but that long handle is definitely wood.

I have no idea as to its purpose.

Reply to
Markem618