Norm gone from HGTV?

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:58:38 -0500, the inscrutable "Mike Marlow" spake:

DIY's lone saving grace is David Marks' "Wood Works" program. If I could have only one, I'd choose HGTV, though some of their better programs are gone. Ground Force was one I thoroughly enjoyed. HGTV has really gone after the housewife, too. Frackin' pukeyhomes.

-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

DIY channel has a great woodworking show called Wood Work or Woodworking (not "DIY Woodworking" that is a completely different show, and is not as good in my opinion).

This is just that that show is currently showing re-run only. I haven't seen any new show lately.

I really like that show in addition to Norm's "New Yankee Workshop". Both are good.

But now I have switched from DirecTV to DISH Network, and I have dropped DIY because of the much higher cost of subscribing to the TV programming package that includes DIY. Good thing I still be able to watch Norm's show.

Jay Chan

Reply to
jaykchan

It was quite disappointing when HGTV and DIY announced their new format. They broke the week down into days and each day was targeted at a certain audience, or interest. Specifically missing from that target list was woodworkers like the group gathered in here. Guess we aren't a very large or a very profitable number.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yeahhh...what Ed said....*nods*

Reply to
Robatoy

And that begs the question: WHO-the-heck gives a tinkers darn what the f*uck(sorry, slipped) happened/happens to Norm.

I realize that I am taking one helluva chance with my life here, forced onto an ice-floe, set ablaze after being drenched in whale oil, cursed and forced to listen to Celine Dijon [sic] whilst surrounded by halographic images of a naked Michael Jackson... the horror...the horror...but I think Norm is just another shill for the corporate side. Good for him and I admire his success so don't get me wrong. I admire the guy for that reason. But I find his shows less than inspiring. It teaches very few techniques that aren't solved by a CNC laser guided framulator. IOW.... he does nothing to inspire me. Nothing. I don't watch a whole lot of TV, other than F-1, but Marks, in that genre, at least forces me to think.

I recall early HGTV (at least here in Kanuckistan) where a couple was showing people how to make their own kitchen: "..and now, we use the Blum hinge inserting machine to complete the door..." I mean..WTF???

I'd rather watch a rerun of Lewis and Lambchop and let my imagination stick Lambchop into Norm's Timesaver. I know... you have all had that thought....I'm just the only one here honest enough to admit it.

0¿0

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

Not on HGTV.

Reply to
Scrub

Robatoy:

Perhaps we could put together a show on "Cabinetry and Furniture for Igloos and yurts" - that would probably be of more interest to Kanuckistani....

Gotta agree with you on the "hinge inserting machine". Norm's show isn't that bad -- but I do get a belly laugh when I see all the tools. What is the relevance - eh? So what if I learn how to use $101,367.51 worth of tools (in USD no less) to make a $108 cabinet?

Just once I'd like to see him work with a rusty hand saw and a mis-aligned planer -- so the experience is more "true to life" if you get my drift -- eh?

Not to mention working with bent and twisted 2X4's since all the good ones go south - eh what?

but I digress...

Time to go kill a caribou for lunch...

Robatoy wrote:

Unless it gets discombobulated -- and you need to replace the Mark II Cray internal computer...

IOW.... he does nothing to inspire me. Nothing.

ROTFLMAO

Always did like lambchop. :-) Can she fly a handsaw?

Reply to
Will

In the past few months, I've taken to watching and often recording Holmes on Homes on HGTV. He's a renovations expert not a finished carpenter, but I enjoy watching and learning when he fixes the mistakes and fuckups that other contractors do to people's homes.

Reply to
Upscale

Gotta agree with you -- a great program. Comedy, tragedy and a bit of wood-working. What more can you ask for?

Can you imagine being one of the contractors that did the shoddy work being repaired? Not sure that some of them could be embarrassed though.... But to have your work highlighted... At least some of the neighbours will know and I am sure the word of mouth spreads the names in at least the immediate area...

My sister had a reno done by one of those guys -- at least I am pretty sure it was one of those guys Holmes outed. Cut out floor joists, chopped off wiring, no vapour barrier, etc. $40K later... the job was fixed properly.... No permits on the original job of course...

I am pretty sure she never watched Holmes or it would have never happened. :-(

We had a house like that once ... closets lined with cardboard, wiring done with lamp cord, bathroom floors rotting out. Had to reno the whole thing. We knew what we had bought -- but it was still a painful job.

Reply to
Will

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:15:44 -0500, the inscrutable "Mike Marlow" spake:

We're not filthy-rich, bored, and mind-numbed folks, their target audiences, eh?

-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Can it be fixed?

Reply to
CW

Cookin' Da Boo, eh? How are you preppin' it? Are you cooking it whole or are you wimping out and cleaning it first?

Send me the skin. I need a coat.

Like? Or more than just 'like'? You can tell us Will.. we've all have a little something for Lambchop.

No, but I hear she has a 'way' with K-Bodies and Cabinet Masters.

0¿0

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

Ground Force is on BBC America, not HGTV.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

You are missing the benefit to you of us Normites. If a 7 level C141-B mechanic like me can can watch Norm and say, "I could do that if I had those tools..", it lowers the price of tools for the 'real' WWs. What difference does it make if mine sit in the garage for years and the insulation on the cord rots away, it lowered the price for everyone.

And one day,... maybe I will learn how to use a hand plane or mix finish. Until then I can make things that make me and SWMBO happy and are better than anything I can buy.

Reply to
Ray V

I was referring to Ray's question (message# 3 in this thread) about whether there is any good woodworking show in DIY. DIY is a TV channel that is similar to HGTV. And yes that woodworking show is not available in HGTV.

Jay Chan

Reply to
jaykchan

To be honest with you, I have never looked at it that way. A very interesting perspective. Thanks for that.

0¿0

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 19:41:38 -0500, the inscrutable Will spake:

Strange. I don't see that program on the HGTV.com lineup and don't recall seeing it in the sat directory. I find "Homes to Go" and "Homes Across America" but no "Holmes" turns up in a search of the site. Curious.

-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Geez, that's been my standard defense-of-Norm position for years. I even address it on my Norm's Tools page. Without the Starlifter reference, of course.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Now we're talking!

One master craftsman who has his own show but hasn't been mentioned yet is, of course, Red Green. Multi faceted, cross-medium builder, designer, raconteur and a gentleman. No wasteful money squandering in his workshop.

A man who truly knows how to blend different materials and end up with a whole new interpretation of 'form follows function'.

A contender for The Order Of Canada...to say the least!

Keep your stick on the ice...pointy or not.

0¿0

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

It's a Canadian based show and filmed up here. Maybe it's filtered from US content.

Reply to
Upscale