No more melamine chipout

I was having lots of trouble with chipout on melamine-faced particleboard while building drawers for kitchen cabines. I had bought a new blade for the task, a 100 tooth Oldham finishing blade advertized as good for plywood and plastics, etc.

I finally broke down an bought a new Freud TK806L Thin Kerf Laminate/Melamine and Laminate Flooring Blade. Wow, it's truly amazing!!! Absolutely zero chipout. The teeth have a triple chip grind and a negative 5 degree hook angle.

I wish I'd discovered this blade BEFORE I'd cut most of the panels!

Now the question: how can blade design make this radical a difference?

Steve

Reply to
Mr Fixit eh

I agree. I bought that Freud blade a few months ago and I sure wish I had done it sooner.

Saves a lot of frustration with melamine and hardwood veneered plywood chipout. What is the point of paying $60 for a sheet of plywood and then tearing the hell out of it?

Lou

Reply to
loutent

The triple chip grind is ideal for particleboard and other similar types of composites, and the negative hook angle helps control chipout.

Reply to
mp

Pretty amazing, huh? I've got a Freud double sided melamine blade that also gives zero chipout, and an SD508 dado set that also gives totally chip-free cuts in melamine. Every time I make a cut with those blades I'm in awe.

Dave

Mr Fixit eh wrote:

Reply to
David

On the NYW episode on making a kitchen pantry, Nahm talks about the differences in a blade made for use on Melamine. He explained that every third or fourth tooth on the blade is set a little higher on one edge or the other. The higher tooth hits the melamine first and scores the surface, effectively eliminating chipout.

Reply to
Chuck