New tool invention

: Personal experience or hearsay? I just happen to be in the market for a : garlic press and my primary interest is quality/function over price.

A very thorough review here:

recommend the Kuhn Rikon.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Love, I would prolly buy one or more. I gave my feedback on the web site.

Reply to
luigirecnorm

As an aid to certain trades, serious amateurs, and those who don't already have a solution to stationary assistance, the tool certainly has a place. I have had 4 Workmates, still regularly use 2, and I have a Triton Superjaw. So, it is not for me. As a storage and transportable solution, it needs drawers, wheels etc. It is essentially an expandable workbench with a bench vice. I like that part. Great concept. Incomplete. The name is awful but a focus group could disagree. Names don't need to be descriptive, just memorable? It is probably just me.

ToolExtender? ;0

Reply to
LD

Martial arts cookery.

But can you do it in the air and have the slices fall in the pot?

Reply to
phorbin

Nahh, that's performance art. Maybe if I'd heard about somebody doing it 40 years ago I'd have perfected the skill, but probably not--my parents didn't own a knife that would hold that kind of edge. Nowadays I'm too lazy.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yep.

NEVER cut your garlic buds. Crush only.

Prefer to crush and cross cut.

garlic.

Yep.

Yep.

New, "yes", old Russets, gotta peel them.

Me to.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Russets are okay for......cattle feed?

Reply to
Robatoy

I would like one if I could afford it. Also passed this on to my wood working friends. WW

Reply to
WW

Actually wrong animal, at least it was 60 years ago when I worked the potato fields in the fall after school.

Back then, gov't subsidies were in play.

Free market price was about $0.01/lb for potatoes, but if you died them purple and sold them as hog feed, gov't subsidized with a payment to keep farmers going.

Back then, lots of crops were being subsidized including, winter wheat, shell corn, and oats.

There were others, maybe somebody else remembers that far back

OTOH, Russets are just fine in my galley for lots of spud dishes including home fries, fried, scalloped, potato soup, clam chowder, mashed, etc, etc.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I deep (french) fried quite a few russets. They're pretty good for that. Now I'm hooked on Yukon Gold or mini reds.

Reply to
Robatoy

I deep (french) fried quite a few russets. They're pretty good for that. Now I'm hooked on Yukon Gold or mini reds.

Go to Emeril's section of the Food Network and find "Flo's Roasted Potato Salad".

Absolute Dine-O-Mite use of red spuds and produces a potato salad that has no equal IMHO.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I love potato salad. German, Hussar, 'Russian Egg' (That;s translated from Dutch's Russisch Ei (Forgive my spelling, Han :-)). Cold, baby new potatoes, a wee bit of home-made mayo...

Now *I* am farking hungreeeeee

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news:b10439f5-926e-4a39-a12e- snipped-for-privacy@d7g2000prl.googlegroups.com:

De spelling is correct. But the dish is different from egg salad or potato salad. I had to look it up:

rather have my own version of deviled eggs - secret ingredient is to use some finely ground overdone bacon (or Baco's or generic equivalent) in the mashed up yolks, plus the usual ingredients, which I take from the Good Housekeping cookbook ca 1970.

We'll be at the Dutch house for a late lunch:

Han

"Robatoy" wrote:

from Dutch's Russisch Ei (Forgive my spelling, Han :-)). Cold, baby new potatoes, a wee bit of home-made mayo...

Now *I* am farking hungreeeeee

Anything that starts out 1 pound bacon like "Flo's", works in my book.

BTW, also calls for home made mayo.

Knock yourself out.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Ahhh, so those are just the eggs. In my home town ( Alphen aan den Rijn), they were served two half eggs, stuffed, upside down onto a bed of potato salad with a lot of veggies, like peas, celery mixed in. Two small dollops of caviaar on top of each egg.

Btw, that ain't no Dutch restaurant :-) Where are the: croketten boerenkool stamppot gehaktballen frikadellen nasi goreng bahmi goreng UITSMIJTERS?? well?

Huh?

Huh?

LOL.... (Just drove my in-line spellchecker to the therapist..)

Reply to
Robatoy

Doesn't adding bacon to just about anything make it better though?

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Have you heard about the new Baconaise? Bacon flavored mayonaise.

Lee Michaels

Robatoy wrote in news:94dec42c-fb0e-4125-a6cb- snipped-for-privacy@w35g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

It's "Jersey Dutch". After the English-Dutch war that exchanged "ownership" of Suriname and Manhattan between the warring parties, a lot of Dutch from Manhattan moved acorss the river. Here in Bergen county there are still a lot of Dutch names, like the lumber/hardware etc chain Kuiken Brothers. I don't think they know the difference between a chick and an egg .

Reply to
Han

Mmmmmmmmmm...baconnnnnn

Reply to