New to Sketchup

Thanks for an interesting statement/review!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I too picked up an ASUS I5 for $349 on sale... A K55A 500gb disk and 4gb of memory, added a 4gb stick and I am really happy. It's fast, and Win7.

Wish I had bought two or 3.

I could easily use them, 2 more for Linux.

Reply to
woodchucker

If you like LInux Bill stay away from anything NVIDIA since they won't provide basic driver info to the Linux world. But if you like Linux you probably already knew that.

I stay away from NVIDIA

Reply to
woodchucker

I didn't know that about Nvidia. I can't say I "like" using Linux. But I have built a Linux kernel, and I can use Linux if I have to. Most of the fun 15 years ago seemed to be in configuring a printer and other hardware to work. Since then, I believe, installation has gotten alot easier. I definitely appreciate the work of the open source community (SourceForge.org)!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Jeff,

As time goes on (especially after seeing Windows 8), Linux is looking better and better.

It's hard for me to like a trend in operating systems that gives me less and less power! Your thoughts too, I'm sure.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

So here's the end, I hope, of my PC shopping story. Having spent plenty of time getting a feel for the laptop market, I just ordered this one, "Like new" for $527.

If it doesn't live up to its promise ("like new"--as in, it better work!), I have 30 days to send it back. They distributer had at least 10 more to sell-otherwise it would bother me more that I am buying used from an "unknown entity". I suspect it's probably refurbished. It's the best value I found in a 1920x1080 resolution laptop. And, it has Windows 7! : )

This model has a reputation for running a little warm since it has a

7200 RPM HDD, rather than 5400 RPM which seem to be more popular. I should probably let it run for a few days, to "stress test it" assuming this is not imprudent, is it (I never had a laptop)?

It's real easy to fall into "feature creep" looking at computers. I tried not to spend "stupid" money on this--hopefully it will work out. For heaven's sake, you can spend more on a laptop than a decent cabinet saw!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

No burn in required.

Just make sure it has no viruses in it already.

Reply to
woodchucker

Thanks, good idea! Will do.

Reply to