New shop snake part 2

We have timber rattlers, water moccasins, pigmy rattler, and copperhead. Copperheads are common, shy, but you always need to know where you are putting your hands and feet. We also have large black rat snakes, some 7 feet long, but these are harmless and feast on copperheads.

Reply to
Phisherman

If that is the same black snake I know, they do a better job than a cat around the barn keeping the rat/mouse population under control.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I lived upcountry in Zaire (now the Democratic Republic of Congo) in the late 80s. Had a python eat one of the neighbor's goats. They tracked it down while it was still digesting it.

There was also the odd poisonous snake, one time some friends found a spitting cobra in the outhouse. Our dog killed a little snake in the house one time...didn't think it was poisonous though.

Best part about living there was our pet african grey parrot. They're awesome. Stupid expensive in North America though.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

And, actually, keeping the cat population down is one of their useful functions as well when the coyotes get lazy... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

My cats always got along well with black snakes. They'd play together for hours. Neither one ever seemed to hurt the other.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yes, and they will likely outlive you. Not uncommon to last 80 years.

Reply to
clare

I spent my time in southern Zambia. Also some time in Burkina Faso (formerly Upper Volta)

Reply to
clare

OK, you win. Arizona is viper-poor compared to that inventory -- thank goodness.

IIRC, they can only bite at the flaps of skin (between fingers, toes, etc) because they can't open their mouths wide enough to strike other parts of an adult human -- is that correct or am I thinking of a different viper?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I had heard that about the poisonous sea snakes but never about a Copperhead.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Sounds like you are describing a coral snake ... although they don't really have to chew on you, they do bite more than strike. Common in this part of the country (TX).

Reply to
Swingman

A copperhead is a pit viper, same family as rattlesnakes and cottonmouths, but different genus. They can put a fang into any part of you, and like all pit vipers have long retractile fangs that can go through quite a bit of clothing. Here's a copperhead yawning, but with fangs retracted

Here's one with fangs out--note the sheath around the fangs that slides back as the fangs go in
Here's a copperhead skull--you can see the fangs more clearly

J. Clarke

All my life, I've loved snakes and even owned over 100 at one point, but since marrying a woman with a death-fear of MICE and RATS it's hard to own anything that's really any fun any more.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

We found one in the school yard in grade school. Didn't know it was dangerous so we picked it up and played with it till recess was over. Took it in the classroom and teacher had a fit. We took it back out and turned it loose :-).

We either got one that was very mild mannered or they are reluctant to bite.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

They hide under stuff, tend to be shy, but even the little ones will draw up on ya if'n ya mess with 'em. Maybe they're just meaner here.

When my sister was 4, she stepped on a piece of plywood and out came a big 4-5 foot copperhead. She called out to me, "Look at the big worm." It was hard to convince her not to make sudden movements while I got the neighbor and his pistol to shoot the thing. They both stayed 2 feet apart, transfixed, all the while. Dude down the street ate it.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I'd like to claim credit for them but they aren't mine. It's amazing what you can find by searching flickr.com.

Well, if she's afraid of mice and rats then she should enjoy watching the snakes eat them.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Supposedly most snakebite deaths are from copperheads but also supposedly that's because they are commonplace. Looking at all the copperhead photos on flickr it's clear that they are pretty even tempered as venomous snakes go--there are only a few shots out of hundreds where they have their mouths open.

Reply to
J. Clarke

there are 36 different kinds of rattle snakes. arizona has 13 of them, more than any other state.

cave creek, az

Reply to
charlie

Or, they may be from putting too much belief in what they read on Google! :)

One of the most aggressive snakes in LA when I was growing up were the copperheads, which I routinely ran across when mowing the 2 acre house site ... often had to put back away from the damn things as they _advanced_.

Being reptile, maybe it's the difference in regional temperatures?

Reply to
Swingman

I should add to that though, that any snake turns paranoid when it's molting--there's a period before their new skin hardens when they are pretty much blind and they'll strike at anything that they think _might_ be a threat, so even one that knows you and is so mellow that you feel comfortable picking it up and carrying it out of the shop may suddenly turn on you if you catch it at the wrong time.

Reply to
J. Clarke

There's a lot of that going on. :)

Probably has to do with temperature, last meal, etc. All snakes get rather sluggish while digesting their last conquest or when cold. But other than eastern diamondbacks and cornered large black racers, they are the most aggressive snakes I've seen on land in the SE if disturbed, and as a kid I played with them all. A large, active copperhead fears nothing. Cottonmouths are no picnic either.

LA would be Lower Alabama, or the one in SoCal?

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G