Shop lighting - part 2!

HI Folks Thanks for all the good advice on the other thread.

Just cogitating - is there anything (practical or legislation-wise) to stop me fitting one or more round-pin 5A sockets on the ceiling adjacent to the existing fluorescent strips to easily connect spotlighting..?

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

No, they're still perfectly legal. BESA-box mounted 2A sockets were often used for this (on a 10A circuit).

However, I would suggest you use Klik sockets nowadays. They come in a variety of mounting types, including ceiling roses which can take the weight of a pendant fitting. In some shop schemes, all lighting is connected via Klik connectors, which allows for easily moving it around if you change displays/gondola positions.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You just need to check the round pin sockets are shuttered - unshuttered do exist, and are now only good for speaker circuits etc.

NT

Reply to
NT

Aren't shuttered ones only obligatory for domestic installations?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You could also consider track lighting... run the track round, then position spots where you need them at the time. Move them should you need etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't see any risk with non shuttered up on the ceiling - not like you'll get children up there poking things in.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Hi Folks

Many thanks for all the comments - all noted

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Umm... given it's Ireland the regs are slightly different. There's a couple of Irish sparks on diynot.com This sub-forum deals with AusUK topics, inc Hibernia...

grimly4

Thanks for that - I'll go see.... (Mind, the rest of the wiring in the shop is pretty 'free & easy' - but that doesn't mean that 'our bit' shouldn't be kosher.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

That answer was for UK. Don't know about Ireland.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hi Andrew

OK - understood.. The idea is to have some form of easily-disconnected.. er... connection into the lighting circuit. Rumour has it that the CU is in the hall of the adjacent flat! - so we don't want to be nipping round there too often - and we will want to be upgrading the lighting, possibly in stages over time (as finances allow).

Given that the ceiling's 9ft above the ground, I guess nobody's going to be poking their fingers into any sockets.

Perhaps a bank of sockets (4 or so) is the answer...? At least if they're non-13-amp then no super-athletic Mrs-Mop-with-a-stepladder is going to be able to plug her vacuum cleaner in there ?

I did take a look in the DIY-not forum - but didn't spot anything specific over there. Some scary world-wide lack-of-knowledge on display, though!

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Klik ones available in banks (normally more than 4 though) or singularly.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel