new Grizzly G7944 quill play and motor mount - what to expect?

Hey all, I just bought a new Grizzly G7944 14" floor drill press. I am in the process of setting it up and tuning it and was wondering if current owners could give me some feedback.

Being new to woodworking, I have no reference for how picky I should be about play in the quill? I am trying to figure out whether I really need to complain to Grizzly or not. I have an email into them for their "spec" .

Fully retracted, the chuck is very stable but when fully extended, I can move the chuck side to side by at least 0.016". It seems to drill nice holes, but again, I have very little reference for what is acceptable.

FYI, The way this DP is setup, the spindle is set inside a spindle sleeve. There is no detectable play between the spindle and the spindle sleeve so it is not the bearings. All the play seems to be between the spindle sleeve and the cast-iron head body. There is a set-screw that presses into a groove in the spindle sleeve that is supposed to adjust this play. However, when the screw is set tight enough to prevent the play, the spindle binds as it is lowered and raised.

A second question concerns the motor mount. The top of my motor is inclined away from the head body by a visible amount. A quick and dirty measurement gives somewhat over 1/6th" difference in distance between the top of the motor mount and the bottom. This of course alters the angle of the pulley too. What do others experience? Are all motors inclined like this? TIA,

-Darrell

Reply to
dustybasemt

I can't say I've noticed any of this in mine. Checked runout when first assembled (really low) and just drilled holes from then on.

I just walked down to the shop to check. Whaddya know, the motor isn't quite 'square'. There are four adjustment bolts on the motor mount though, if it bothers you. The belt will take up minor pulley misalignment.

I can move the quill (didn't measure) all the way out. Guess that doesn't surprise as it's fully extended so the restrictions on lateral movement will be at the absolute minimum. Note it isn't loose - it takes some force to move, but it does appear to have some play. I guess when I've drilled I minimize the lateral forces.

Guess since it drills straight I'm not going to worry. If something were so out of alignment it might reduce the life of the machine I'd adjust, but these seem pretty minor.

Reply to
tabergman

Thanks for checking Tabergman. I guess I'll use it and not look to complain!

Reply to
Darrell Henze

Hi Dusty,

I don't have a Grizzly drillpress (although I have several other tools of theirs).

With my (probablly similar) import which I have had for 15+ years, I have noticed that the quality of the bit is more important than the drill press itself.

I bought a set of beautiful looking Forstners about a year ago at WW Warehouse (now defunct). They were so "untrue" - if that's the term, that it is almost ridiculous. It's like they were wound off a big spiral coil & ground out to a bit. The wobble is awful. I only use them when it doesn't matter.

After your drill-press, check that you have good bits. Maybe you should check the bits first.

HTH

Lou

Reply to
loutent