New Band Saw Questions

I just got a new Jet 14" closed base band saw. As I was putting it together, I was impressed with the fit and finish of the pieces, esp. after reading some of the comments others have made concerning their new saws, particularly the Delta band saws.

Once I got it all together, I put a straightedge on the 2 wheels that the blade goes around, and found that they were approximately 1/4" out of coplaner. This results in the blade being a bit beyond centered on the upper wheel and a bit before centered on the lower wheel.

The saw seems to cut ok, without excessive noise or vibration - at least I think so. I have never owned a band saw before. Is this a problem? Do I need to call the dealer on Monday?

Thanks, Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme

Apparently that is not untypical with Jet bandsaws, doesn't usually cause a problem, and is most likely nothing to worry about. If the blade tracks well, in the middle of the tires, and you are satisfied with the cut, I would leave it alone.

Many folks screw up perfectly good bandsaws obsessing with getting the wheels exactly "co-planar".

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Phisherman

Measuring wheels that are not coplanar can be tricky. Coplanar wheels are very important for wide blades and when resawing. Sometimes as the tension is changed the wheels will change as well. This may not be an indication of poor quality or design. You should install a wide blade, put it under the proper tension, then measure with a straightedge. There may be a wheel adjustment on the top wheel, sometimes in the center. If the owner's manual does not show an adjustment, call Jet customer support. Monday is a "holiday"--you may have to wait until Tuesday. Anyway, congratulations on getting a band saw! It is a wonderful machine when properly tuned, a frustration when it needs a tune up. Buy "Band Saw Handbook" by Mark Duginske.

Reply to
Phisherman

Leave it alone. I've been there, and made the mistake of "correcting" a BS to coplaner. I had to undo the "correction". the manufacturers know more about building band saws than Duginske. skip his BS about coplaner "corrections".

Dave

Reply to
David

Sounds like a voice of experience . . .

Always wonder about some of these "tune-ups" that are needed according to authors of Woodworking Books . . .

Would we go to Cher for piano repair and tune up expertise?

Reply to
Steve DeMars

Thank you all for the replies. I will try it with a resaw blade - I purchased a 3/4" blade along with the saw for just that purpose. If that works out, I guess I will leave well enough alone.

Harvey

Steve DeMars wrote:

Reply to
eclipsme

3/4" is pretty wide for a 14" saw and needs a lot of tension. I use a 1/2" on my Jet.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I want to agree with this. I have a 3/4" for my saw and the saw tensions it just fine, but it is a new saw with a new spring and I imagine I'll have to replace the tension spring sooner than I would if I'd gotten a 1/2" blade for resawing if I hope to keep using the big blade without problems.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

My new Delta is perfect. Too bad for you...

Reply to
Toller

Thanks. I may have jumped the gun on getting the blade. I saved shipping by ordering it now. That's ok, there are lots of blades out there.

I appreciate all the helpful advice.

Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme

Sometimes it is difficult to restrain oneself from responding to posts with new posts that add nothing to the general discussion.

I guess we both failed here.

Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme

I use the 3/4 with my 20 year old spring without a problem. The slim section Suffolk blade. Reasonable feed rates and wood held steady make a huge difference, of course.

Reply to
George

No, just you. He said he was impressed with the Jet, since it was so much better than the Deltas; yet he had a problem. I was just pointing out that I avoided his problem by buying a Delta that was just fine.

Reply to
Toller

I think I'm using the same blade. Thanks.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

No one that ever bought a Delta has had a problem? I didn't know that. Conversely, does everyone that buys a Jet have a problem? I didn't.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm sorry. the 'He' that you refer to is me, and I did not say how much better my Jet was than delta, but rather that I was aware of problems reported with other saws, particularly Delta, and was glad that I was finding good fit and finish with the Jet.

You were not "just pointing out" that you avoided this problem by buying a Delta, which would have been fine, but you said "Too bad for you...", which was both insensitive and useless in terms of information conveyed, or rather the lack of information conveyed. You were apparently just stroking your ego at my expense. I don't appreciate that.

Well, I don't normally take the bait, but this time I did. Oh well. You may now have the last word, as I am done with this discussion.

Once again, I thank everyone else for your constructive comments and suggestions.

Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme

Perhaps it also depends on how often the blade is on the saw and for how long? I would think that occasional use (such as mine) would be much less of a potential problem for the tension spring than if the 3/4" blade were used continuously.

Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme

In any case, the Ittura Bandsaw catalog has replacements, and Grizzly keeps lots of parts (speaking to my bandsaw), and I think you may even be able to use springs from kbctools, McMaster-Carr, and similar.

I'm thinking the "Die Springs" could be used, and are very cheap, but I don't know if the medium or heavy duty ones are more appropriate. The medium duty ones have a greater efficient range of deflection, the heavy duty ones (at kbctools) offer greater loads at maximum deflection.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

No, you do not need to call anybody. That is precisely why there are so many adjustments on the saw. Remember that the blade runs on the tires (not the wheels themselves) and they may be very slightly cone-shaped one way or another, just like the tires on a car. Let the tires wear in for a while and keep it i tune and it should be fine.

Reply to
RM MS