New additions to shop.

I wanted a sink in the shop to clean up paint brushes, dump and replenish water from my sharpening stones, other things.

I can't have a sink connected to the water, or septic without paying a huge tax increase.

So here's my solution.. still a work in progress:

I picked up a big stainless steel kitchen sink for $1 at a garage sale, and yesterday picked up a kitchen cabinet. I cut out the top for the sink today. and moved it to the basement.

Now I plan on using 2x 5gal buckets, one for fresh water, and one for waste water. I need to get a pump to pump the water from the fresh tank to a faucet. That will drain to the waste tank. After settling I figure I can pump or siphon the clean (top ) water back to the fresh water and keep doing that until I need to dump it....

I started looking for pump online.. they aren't cheap... Has anyone done this??

Reply to
tiredofspam

tiredofspam wrote in news:aMKdnT-

2OrLlNSDSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

It sounds like gravity could be your friend here. Put the upper bucket above the faucet and let gravity supply the pressure. Get one of those hand crank pumps from harbor freight and use that to replenish the upper bucket. Just my 2¢ YMMV

Reply to
Steve

Camper supply store.. Pump used to run the sink from a supply tank when not connected to a water supply.

[...]

geoff

I have cabinets above.. Its the only space I could fit it. I had originally thought that I would use gravity. But the cabinet (I got it for free) was wider than the original area in my storage area.. near my sump pump.. I originally figured I dump the waste water there when it was ready to be dumped..

No handcrank> tiredofspam wrote in news:aMKdnT-

Reply to
tiredofspam

Thanks, I'll see what I can find..

.
Reply to
tiredofspam

How about one of those pumps that they use in outdoor water falls to pump water from the pond back up to the top of the waterfall. Don't know what they cost, but should do the job.

Paul T.

Reply to
P.H.T.

Are you sure about that? Maybe things are different where you live but in my neck of the woods, property taxes are based on property valuation. Adding a functional sink would add little or nothing the the property's value, hence would cause at most a miniscule increase in property taxes.

Reply to
Just Wondering

You'll probably not be re-using the water very much - paint won't settle out enough for you to wash your hands and not have at least a little color added.

For a supply pump, even the small pond/fountain pumps provide several gallons/minute.

If you can extend the drain plumbing to the sump pump, you won't have to lift and dump that pail. That should make up for the additional fresh water you'd need to supply wih a direct-to-drain system.

A possible alternative supply arrangement would be to use a garden hose from an outside faucet and control the water with a sprnkler valve. The wiring is 24 voltds, so you don't need an electrician. The valves are often 3/4 NPT, but adapters are available from 3/4 NPT to hose bibb (slightly different 3/4" thread). If you have rain gutters on the shop, could you run a downspout to a barrel and collect the rainwater? Set the barrel up high enough for gravity flow or use a pond/fountain pump to get the water to the sink.

Reply to
news

Steve wrote in news:XnsA05CCFBA8B0CErendaratcheerfuldotc@216.151.153.63:

One thing that you must consider is that 5 gallons of water will be quite heavy. Something on the order of 40 pounds, so a shelf or bucket holder must be able to support that weight.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"P.H.T." wrote in news:VTivr.12359$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe11.iad:

Somewhere between $30 and $70 from what I've seen. Many fixtures are plumbed with 1/2" pipe, so a small utility pump that can fill that should be good enough.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

If you can collect your waste in a five gallon bucket, is there any reason that you can not set it outside and water the flowers with it. (if you know what I mean)

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Or divert a gutter drain to it.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

I made a similar project for a science classroom the didn't have access to a lab.

I found a roll around stainless cabinet that was designed for work area for outdoor cooking (got this on sale at kmart I think) cut in a sink on one end used a pond pump for supply pressure and 2-5 gallon buckets that stored neatly in cabinet.

I cut in a couple of electrical boxes on the end of the cabinet, one for additional outlets and another for water proof toggle swith to control pump, installed a gfc breaker internally for saftey should something go wrong.

I wound up with north of $300 in the whole thing, but the associated science club footed most of the bill.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Yes I am sure. Even a slop sink raises the rate here big time. I don't know why, wherever I have lived I always had a slop sink in the basement.

They look for heat > >> I wanted a sink in the shop to clean up paint brushes, dump and

Reply to
tiredofspam

How many gallon per minute pump did you use. I figure the lift cuts the pressure down, so that part has been hard to figure.

Figure lifting 30 inches, what would be good. My guess was 160gph which is about 2.7gpm.. but with lift I am not sure what I'll wind up with, most specs online don't go into lift vs gph...

Thanks....

Most didn't read the part where I am > >

Reply to
tiredofspam

Maybe visit an RV dealer and ask if they have any used RV water pumps you can get cheap. They're noisy though.

John S.

Reply to
John Shear

I can't recall the pump volume that I used, but it was a midrange pond pump, flow was somewhere around 2 gpm out the sink spout, this is decent considering the volume you will have to work with.

Plug the hot side of the faucet or someone will leave it open and flood bottom side.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Good idea.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Depending on your definition of cheap, you might want to look at aquarium pumps. But be sure to check the flow and the head.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Either something from Jabsco (115VAC) or manual diaphragm pump puts you in the $100-$125 range.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett