What is it? Set 442

This week's set has been posted:

Rob H.

2563. Metallurgy cross section samples

Not a clue on the others.

Reply to
Dennis

Thanks, I'll pass this on to the owner of them.

Reply to
Rob H.
2563, maybe some product samples of plastic? 2564, ladder for a very tall man. 2565, part of garden hose nozzle? 2566, garden shovel, but why the offset? 2567, no clue 2568, no clue

.

Stormin Mormon

Guesses:

2564 - Looks like some kind of runners for a snow sled; skid runners for delivering firewood.

2566 - An arborist's spade

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny
2565 looks like some sort of gasket cutter 2567 my guess is a decorative cap for a small smokejack or similar (based on it looking rather like the top of a steamboat stack 2568 valve spring lifter tool?

Northe

Reply to
Northe

'63 - Dennis & e likely spot-on. '64 - Have seen this before, but can't remember. '65 - ? '66 - Turfing iron. (for lifting grass turfs). '67 - Shade/protection for a lamp/lantern? '68 - ?

Reply to
Nick

2566 looks like a tool to dig a deep trench with straight sides.
Reply to
J Burns

I think this is probably correct but would guess that it would be almost impossible to say exactly if it was made for a lamp, a still, a model riverboat, etc.

No correct guesses yet for this one, this particular tool is for a single purpose, but usually it is seen as a notch on a combination tool.

Reply to
Rob H.

2566: grave digger's shovel
Reply to
Zz Yzx
2564 looks like a ramp or bridge for moving possibly a cable spool or small trolley.
Reply to
tiredofspam

2568 A grill scraper?
Reply to
G.W. Ross

minus the leather washer.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

Nope. Concerning my previous post where I said it was usually seen as a notch on a combination tool, slot would probably be a better choice of words than notch, and there is typically two or three of them.

Reply to
Rob H.

2568 looks like a patent knife sharpener with parts missing.
Reply to
phorbin

You were in the right ballpark, it's a ramp for beer barrels. Still not sure about the flat shovel and the smokestack crown but the rest of the answers can be seen here:

Rob H.

fighting with a drafting program for a project I'm building. :-

So -- I'd better post my opinions before I read anyone else's.

2563) My guess here is that they are metallurgical samples for analysis by some process or other -- microscopic or other.

The sample is cast in the epoxy (I think rather than Bakelite), identification is scratched into one end of the cylinder, and the other is machined and then polished to expose the metal samples for study. Not sure whether it is simply sanded or lapped to provide the needed surface finish. It looks as though most of the samples were extrusions, so I suspect that grain structure was being examined using perhaps a phase contrast microscope.

2564) Given the U-bend in each of the cross pieces, I suspect that this was a support for either a flexible pipe or for electrical cables. This sort of thing (usually metal) is typically used in the between the floors spaces in multi-story buildings. (The ones which I have experienced are not quite tall enough to allow walking upright even without all the pipes, cables, air conditioning ducts and such which crowd the space

Not sure why this one is made mostly of wood, and why in the middle of a more gentile environment. :-)

2565) Perhaps the handle for a beer dispensing tap. The large end (which we don't see end on) would hold a medallion to identify the beer and the brewery. 2566) Looks to me like something for smoothing concrete. 2567) Perhaps something for analyzing the purity of the ore mined? Not sure why the crown spikes. 2568) I think that this is a handle (key) for turning on and off power using a switch with a recessed actuator to prevent the general public from switching things on and off.

O.K. Now to stop and send this before I go on to read the now exposed answers.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

My wife swears the shovel is a grave digger's spade, the offset to allow them to scrape the sides of the hole flat. She syas she's seen a few.

Reply to
Zz Yzx

as a shovel is attached. It looks more like a grub hoe attachment. Maybe it's some kind of straight hoe or straight adze-type tool for soil digging, trenching, turf lifting. I didn't get any hits for grave digging related searches.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

According to my dictionary, a shovel moves earth and a spade cuts it. With a step for a foot and the handle parallel to the blade, it looks like it was made to cut.

It doesn't look good for lifting sod. The handle would be just above the ground, leaving no room to lever the sod up.

It looks just right for straightening the sides of a trench. A grave needs straight sides. You wouldn't want the casket to jam as it was lowered.

Reply to
J Burns