Neanderthal Starter Kit?

much more frequently

the forward stroke.

kinked in two places.

Sounds about good, I bought the mini shark and the ryoba blade that fits the same handle. The original blade is single edged and has 26 ppi, the ryoba 19 and 24. I used it the first time cutting a bevel out of a block of DF, hopefully to make a doorstop, and I couldn't believe how accurate it cut, just paying attention to keeping the cut straight, it came out square, nice design! It can cut lignum vitae too, but travels off too easily.

Reply to
AAvK

I absolutely agree. I believe in treating women the way I would like to be treated.

That said, men must be men... and that has nothing to do with bullying or abuse. Quite the contrary. I've heard from quite a few women who complain that their men never stand up to them... all the while commandeering the family pants. The poor dudes have succumbed to a culture of the submissive sensitive man and have shrugged aside millions of years of evolution.

Again, this has nothing to do with abusing women. Can you imagine Humphrey Bogart or John Wayne prattling on about a SWMBO and asking her if it's ok to buy a damn tool? Of course not. Bogey and the Duke are dead... and like Dennis Leary said... if the Duke were alive today he'd be pretty damn pissed off!

I'm reminded of a quote by Eroll Flynn... "Any notion that a woman's mind is nobler, purer, higher, more decent, cleaner, or anything else gentler or superior to a man is pure delusion."

That's my story and I'm sticking to it ;-)

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

And all of that is exactly it man, Joe, you seem to be a straight up brothah! I think the actor was wrong though, I feel, men can easily be low down dogs, and if develope any semblence of higher understanding and inner discipline as such, can easily listen to and learn from very fine thinking and mature women. I think women are wonderful, not all women tho... Women are equally human, still the fair deal.

Reply to
AAvK

That'll change when one of their wives needs a cabinet door fixed...

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Buy a good pocket knife and start whittling. Minimal material and space requirements. Critters, wood chains, balls in cages, fans . . . ad infinitum will get a lot of attention. I suggest a steel knife, not a stone one unless you're a real Neanderthal purist. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Once again, thanks. In the past 24 hours I've tracked down the local contact for the Midwestern Tool Collectors Association (I knew living in the midwest had advantages). Seems they have a 'meet' in March. I'm saving my pennies now.

You guys are great - and knowledgable. These idea's will keep me going for some time to come. I'll be scoping out the used tool stores as well.

Still, I must comment on Joe Barta's comments about SWMBO. First, I'm a big fan of Rumpole of the Bailey, so I love the euphamism. Second, regarding your role models for female relationships: Humphrey Bogart was married four times. John Wayne was married three. Errol Flynn also married three times, and was courting a 15-year-old when he died. Neanderthals they may be, but I'm really hoping to stick with just one wife for now. I'm very happy with Mrs. Mighty Quinn :-)

Thanks again everyone. I'll post updates on this Neanderthal's progress (or lack thereof).

John

Reply to
Mighty Quinn

Of course you do... I hit a nerve ;-)

Fair enough. I'd reckon though that most users of the term have no idea where it came from. They just think it's "cute".

I knew that no matter who I picked, dirt could be dug up on them. And truly, all great men are flawed. But let's not lose the big picture for the details.

That's a wonderful thing and I wish you the best.

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

Joe Barta wrote in news:Xns97478EF672D95jbartaapknet@

207.115.17.102:

I guess that depends on whether you mean "most users of the term" in the world at large, or just those of us posting here.

If the former, I don't really know. Of the latter, I think most folks here know the derivation, and understand the humor involved. Tongue in cheek, and all of that ...

Of course, YMMV.

Reply to
John Thomas

Oh, so I've just misunderstood? It's all a big joke? So when a man says that SWMBO "won't let him" do this that or the other thing, he's just kidding? Ha ha? And when another suggests he needs SWMBO's approval or overcome her veto in order to buy some power tool, he's just funnin?

And do you think there are any modern women who use the term HWMBO?

There was a movie I saw recently about a young man whose father came from India to live with him in America after the father's wife died. The son's wife was a modern yuppie frazzled controlling headcase and she was running to work leaving their small child with a nanny. The older father asked his son, why do you permit her to work? To which the son didn't have much of an answer other than it doesn't work like that in this country. It was an interesting clash of culture.

I say no one needs to obey anyone... unless it's a cop... and he's pointing a gun at you... and he tells you to put your hands behind your head. Then it might be wise to obey now and argue about it later ;-)

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

So I've been told. The next time I see an unemployed young man being carted around by his girlfriend because he has no concept or role model of what it is to be a man, I'll remind myself that it's just a joke. The next time I'm out riding with one of my buddies and all of a sudden he has to go home because his wife/girlfriend called and wants him to come home and do the dishes and why is he out riding around without her, I'll just smile and tell myself it's all in fun. The next time I hear in this group that some dude needs to work on his woman so that she will let him buy a new tool, I will remember not to let my hackles be raised because he's obviously just joshin around. :-)

Tis a wonderful thing.

Me? Call you? That must have been some other dude. I am always most polite and restrained in conversation.

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

I'll say it again. Drawknife.

Reply to
CW

Yes. When did you have the humorectomy? Any other side effects?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Second that. These are *fun*. Get some wood (scrap or other) first, so you don't want to saw up your existing furniture.

Reply to
Contrarian

No one called you "submissive", we were talking about 'women' as such, in retrospect to men.

Nothing!

Reply to
AAvK