Nakashima show opening

After picking up my 6" jointer birthday present this morning (see another post), I went to the "George Nakashima: Nature, Form & Spirit" show that opened this afternoon at the Japanese American National Museum in downtown Los Angeles. His daughter, Mira Nakashima, gave a public talk and slide presentation and then signed copies of her book by the same title. There was a 17 min. short version of a forthcoming documentary film about him by his nephew.

The show is incredible! There were a couple of pieces that literally took my breath away. There are several dozen pieces on display (including a bench the public is invited to sit on), photographs, personal effects, etc. This will be a show I will be going back to often (it's up until January). I've already made a date with my wife for Sun., Oct. 17, "An Afternoon with Sam Maloof" at the show.

If you live in or visit the area this fall, you owe yourself a trip to see this exhibit.

it was a very good day for woodworking!

Ian

Reply to
Ian Dodd

For those of you in the East . . . the Nakashima workshop is still a going concern (run by daughter Mira) and is open to the public every Saturday afternoon. You can see numerous original pieces and look at some of their inventory of slabs . . . They are in Hope, PA., about an hour from Philly. The afternoon I spent there rubber necking is one of my lifetime highlights. His work, his lifestyle . . . truly inspirational.

Rick

Rick Stein