Neighbor's house for sale

This guy lives in back of me and I was surprised to see house for sale:

The way our properties are situated out back I hardly see or know the guy but he is a stone mason contractor. He is not in our development but directly in back of me. Properties do not touch as there is a driveway between us to the neighbor higher in the valley.

Reason I'm posting here is to point out that stone used to build the house was actually mined from the property, chopped out of the hillside twenty years ago. Only some of the arch stones were brought in.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

It looks a beaut.

In my area $ 1.5 mil < Canadian > doesn't get much these days ...

John T.

Reply to
hubops

That house might be considered cheap in some parts of California, Hawaii and Alaska.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Not if you had to move it there from The Sticks Perth County Ontario. John T.

Reply to
hubops

A friend just sold his Mom's house in Los Angeles for $2MM.

What he actually sold is an overgrown half-acre lot with a 3-bedroom house and some out-buildings, all of which have to be torn down.

The Zillow listing didn't show a single picture of the interior. Instead, you got a bunch of these.

The words in the description were: "Build the dream estate in one of the most sought after pockets in the area." and ""This is the location you want and the place where you want to build."

14 miles down the 101 from downtown LA.
Reply to
Marilyn Manson

This one is just a few miles away, but it's been on the market for over three years. 852 acres in the foothills.

Scott Lurndal

Damn, that's a lot of stone from one location. I imagine he is selling it cheap since he got the material free from the land.

I can imagine how it was built. When I was a kid in the 50s, the parish build a new convent and then added a second floor to the church. They imported some masons from Italy and I watched them cutting and trimming the stones on a bench using a mallet and chisel. At the time I did not appreciate the skills they had.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I suspect that the home in the link is stone-faced <sided> ? rather than thick full stone construction ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Yes, but I think Ed's point is that each of those pieces had to be cut to the correct thickness and shaped to match on the face and fit together side by side and be flat enough on the back to be mortared in place.

That's what (I suspect) Ed meant by "cutting and trimming the stones on a bench using a mallet and chisel." That's a lot of work that takes a lot of skill.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

That's what just about every other house in the neighborhood looks like. Big houses with fancy landscaping and pools. That's why the listing used words like "location" and "build". It was essentially being sold as building lot, not as a house.

The eventual buyer had "his people" come and look at the property so he could get an idea of the overall cost to demolish the buildings, clear the lot, get the proper permits to build, etc. Only then did he drop $2MM to buy the "lot".

I'm dying to know what the overall cost will be to end up with a house, pool, yard, etc. on the 1/2 acre lot. Other properties (complete with houses) in the area sold for well under $2MM, but they didn't have a 1/2 acre. That lot is one of the biggest in the neighborhood.

It'll fun to keep an eye on it over the years as Google Maps updates it's images.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I cannot recall construction 20 years ago but thought it was full stone but listing says stone façade. It is not all stone and back is stucco. Where the stone was dug from became his basement.

Interior details Bedrooms and bathrooms

Bedrooms: 5 Bathrooms: 6 Full bathrooms: 5 1/2 bathrooms: 1 Main level bathrooms: 2 Main level bedrooms: 1

Basement

Area: 0

Basement

Basement: Full

Heating

Heating features: Central, Propane - Owned

Cooling

Cooling features: Central A/C, Electric

Appliances

Appliances included: Propane Water Heater

Other interior features

Total interior livable area: 4,175 sqft Finished area above ground: 4,175 Finished area below ground: 0 Total number of fireplaces: 1 Virtual tour: View virtual tour

Property details Parking

Total spaces: 11 Parking features: Garage Faces Side, Attached Garage, Driveway Garage spaces: 3 Covered spaces: 3 Uncovered spaces: 8

Accessibility

Accessibility features: None

Property

Levels: Two Stories: 2 Pool features: None

Lot

Lot size: 1.33 Acres Lot size dimensions: 52.8 x 446.9

Other property information

Additional structures included: Above Grade, Below Grade Parcel number: 08025.00057 Zoning: NC21 Special conditions: Standard

Construction details Type and style

Home type: SingleFamily Architectural style: Contemporary Property subType: Single Family Residence

Material information

Construction materials: Stone Foundation: Concrete Perimeter

Condition

New construction: No Year built: 2002

Utilities / Green Energy Details Utility

Sewer information: On Site Septic Water information: Well

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I wouldn't expect that modern home to be a stone structure, but Ed's 1950's church might well have been. John T.

Reply to
hubops

And it's at least 80 years old too

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Not great photos but you can see they did use a lot of stone. Church, school, rectory, convent takes a full city block.

Ed Pawlowski

Are there more stone houses in the Graves-Millcreek-Wayland area, or is this kind of a one-off? If it's unique, that could drive the price.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Not that many.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

It occurred to me that I wasn't supposed to go look at the actual neighborhood on Google maps. Sorry about that.

Reply to
Jim Joyce