What Is Shaker Furniture?

The Northeastern Woodworker's Association's September Meeting may be of interest to folks here...

Thursday, September 11, 2008, 7:00 pm Shaker Heritage Society Meetinghouse Albany-Shaker Road, Albany, NY

What Is Shaker Furniture?

By Jerry Grant

Jerry Grant is the Director of Research and Library Services at the Shaker Museum and Library in Old Chatham, New York. His professional training is as a librarian with a specialty in rare books and archives. Jerry has been on the staff of the Shaker Museum and Library since 1987 and has worked in jobs related to the history and practices of the Shakers for nearly thirty years. He is the co-author with Douglas Allen of Shaker Furniture Makers and Noble but Plain: The Shaker Meetinghouse at Mount Lebanon. While choosing a career in research and rare books, Jerry has worked both as a curator and as a craftsman - making replicas of Shaker oval boxes.

For years there have been debates about what is or is not Shaker Furniture. Jerry will present an illustrated lecture on changing opinions of what is included in the phrase, "Shaker Furniture." Early writers on the Shakers focused on a very limited number of pieces of furniture that met their stylistic criteria for being included in the category of Shaker furniture. Over the years the definition of what is Shaker has broadened, but Jerry believes it has begun to once again contract. He will show examples of this change and give his opinion on what it is that makes something not only a piece of Shaker furniture but an exciting piece of Shaker furniture. Members of the Shaker Heritage Society have been invited to join us at this meeting.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Wow, what a great meeting!

As a newsletter editor of our local club is there a way I could get a copy of his presentation?

MJM

Reply to
mjmwallace

Interesting question... I'll ask if they plan to video tape the presentation or otherwise make the presentation available.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

... snip

Interesting. Someone had given me some magazines that he inherited by his father, I'm scanning through them and cataloging those articles that interest me. I didn't finish completely reading it yet, but an interesting article on differences among the various shaker community styles can be found in Popular Woodworking February 2006 pp 72

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

That is an interesting article....

I've been to the museum and library from which the speaker hails and there is certainly a lot of stuff there to study! That's the place where I took the photos of the Shaker stationary woodworking tools that I posted a couple years ago...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Kind of a contradiction of terms, idn't it?

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Those Shakers are an exciting group!

To the Amish...

Reply to
B A R R Y

Not true. The Amish have sex. ;-)

Reply to
krw

... and that, boys and girls, is why there are still Amish among us while there are no longer any Shakers.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Yeah, but with all that inbreeding, it's a question of quality, not quantity.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Huh? In what way do you consider the Amish to lack "quality"?

Reply to
J. Clarke

You obviously never lived in Amish country.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You have a really warped sense of the world. ...and before you ask, yes I have.

OnTopic: They make great furniture too. Bought a dining room and bedroom while I was there...

Reply to
krw

That is not an answer.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It very definitely is a definitive answer.

Think limited gene pool.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

What part of "inbreeding" did you not understand?

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

If in fact they are lacking "quality" then that might be a reason for it, but it does not demonstrate the lack of quality. What "quality" that you believe they should possess are they lacking?

Reply to
J. Clarke

So are they bleeders, do they commonly have two heads, in what way does this "inbreeding" manifest itself so as to constitute a lack of "quality"?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Buddy Matlosz

it is how this is manifested among them in a way that can be reasonably percieved as lack of "quality", and so far you have come up with absolutely nothing.

Reply to
J. Clarke